Best inline barrel adjusters?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neeb

by neeb

My new build has internally routed cables (a first for me), so I need some inline barrel adjusters.

The barrel adjusters on externally routed frames can easily be turned with one hand because they are fixed to the frame - is the same true for most inline ones, i.e. is the force needed to turn them gentle enough that the cable itself provides resistance, or do you need to hold them with one hand/finger and turn them with the other?

Also, weight could be a consideration, I don't want to add 20g if I can get some equally functional ones that are 5g (or whatever).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rijndael

by rijndael

I've been pleased with my SRAM Compact Barrel Adjuster.
http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/ ... l-adjuster

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

I don't really care for the look of them, but the Jagwire adjusters are pretty light, and the way they really bite into one side of the housing and
not the other makes it very easy to turn them without holding the housing and while riding..

Doolop

by Doolop

rijndael wrote:I've been pleased with my SRAM Compact Barrel Adjuster.
http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/ ... l-adjuster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is my favorite for a couple reasons.

Its somewhat hard to twist while adjusting which means it won't auto adjust itself while riding.

It doesn't use ferrules, the ends of the cables slide in. This means less housing/ferrule junctions to move about and its a very clean look.

ave

by ave

You can do without them.
I installed the cables without adjusters. For the front it's not that easy to do perfectly, but possible. For the rear there's the adjuster on the mech itself.
I've been riding like this for 18 months now. I didn't had to adjust anything.

rijndael

by rijndael

I only use the barrel adjuster on my rear derailleur, but I find myself wanting to be in between the two indents (SRAM Red). I plan to add an inline one, with finer adjustments, during my next recable.
Last edited by rijndael on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theosaurus

by theosaurus

Token are great but to save weight I use the plastic barrel from a standard adjuster
yes, but how much does it weigh?

neeb

by neeb

Just fitted the SRAM ones based on the recommendations here and they're great. The force required to turn them is just right and I especially like the fact that there is a little line marked on the sliding cable holder so that you have a reference point for fine adjustments. As a Campagnolo guy I just have to decide whether I'm going to leave the SRAM logos on them or not.. :wink:

Re: doing without adjusters - I don't think I could live with that. On the rear one it's a real hassle to have to get off the bike to make a fine adjustment, it's far easier to do it when moving because you have continual feedback from the shifting. Also with the front one, although it doesn't need adjusting often it's a real pain getting it set up perfectly initially without any type of tension adjuster.

My SRAM ones were exactly 6g for the pair.

monchito

by monchito

Hi neeb. I´ve seen this thread and i couldn´t avoid to show you my barrel adjuster.

I did it in 6/4 titanium, and weights less 1.3 grams each.

Here the pictures:

DSC04377 por monchito3000, en Flickr

tensor titanio por monchito3000, en Flickr

DSC04126 por monchito3000, en Flickr

Although it is very thin, spin smoothly enough (even with globes). It´s thin but long.
And yes, this is the best inline barrel in all universe... :podium:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com