Are Novatec Hubs Really This Bad?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Omiar

by Omiar

hiro11 wrote:
LouisN wrote:I built a dozen wheelset with the F482SB and A291SB hubs, and I must say they all were and still are buttery smooth.
I have about 3K miles on a set of wheels with those hubs and have have had no problems at all. Novatecs generally have a good reputation.

I had to replace the rear bearings after some 10km on a wet gravel road. Total mileage is/was about 10000km, the front is still silky smooth.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

desperado95219

by desperado95219

I have a set of Novtech hubs (on Chinese 50mm carbon wheels) that are now over 6 years old (well over 10,000 km) and no problems whtsoever, but admit that I retrofitted them with ceramic bearings a year ago....but they were still very smooth at that point.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The F482 hubs suffers if used in the wet alot. It is not uncommon for riders in the U.K who use them through winter filth to get a few hundred miles form the bearings. I have tried high end INA bearings and they last a bit longer but they still wear out if used in the wet. You can buy them with EZO bearings from novatec I will give a go and see. If you want an all weather hub then look the A171/F172 or at Miche Primato, Hope e.t.c all of these weight more but all will cope with the wet more.

I don't think they are bad hubs they just have limits. Think of the the A291/F482 as a race day hub. Thats what it is best at.

weenie

by weenie

I have 4 wheels with novatec hubs and i broke 2 bearings within the first month on 2 of the wheels. These are MTB XC wheels.

The bearings were of brand "AMIGO" and I replaced them with cheap no-names which have held up without problem so far.

Replacing the bearing is pretty easy, but yeah, its disappointing the original ones broke so quickly. Specially since they're other brands of bearings that are just as cheap as the ones they use, but better quality.

micky

by micky

RouesArtisanal once wrote on a hubs review that for normal users it would be impossible to feel the difference between a Novatec and a DtSwiss set of hubs, as their experience with both had very small differences in the data results.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I've had good luck with the four sets of Novatec hubs I've been using... 2 track, 1 road, and 1 mtb.

amey

by amey

1 set of novatec about to finish 4k miles without a single issue; still roll smooth with occasional petrol station pressure wash !

Another fresh set of Novatec SL with ceramic bearings just finished first 100 miles; perfect!

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Valbrona wrote:I had some wheels from Taiwan with Novatec hubs. After more than 30 years of messing around with good quality kit and working for an OEM, they seemed quite good. And they certainly seemed well adjusted. However, after only 300-400 miles the rear hub bearings are showing signs of roughness and notching.

Is this normal for Novatec hubs? Is it really a case of 'you get what you deserve if you buy cheap Taiwanese stuff'?

And please do not suggest that I contact the company because they do not respond to end-user enquiries. It is company policy; that is the only way I can describe their no response to queries.

Thanks folks.

It really depends on the quality of the bearing and the tolerance of the hub shell.
Joytech can source China-low grade bearings for many of the OEM customers who want to target a low price point.
As an OEM, you can also opt for high grade Japanese or even Enduro Abec5 bearings in these hubs.

I think you might be surprised to discover how many brands Joytech (Novatech) make hubs for and unlike a brand like Chris King, who ONLY do high end everything, Joytech is willing and able to make everything from department store hubs to exceptionally precise, low degree engagement high end BMX, DH, and USA-aftermarket brands' hubs.

-SD

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

abec5 is a mid range bearing. Novatec supply hubs with NBK or the EZO bearing commonly. The EZO bearing is marketed as a higher grade but the 6802 NDS rear bearing suffer badly when riden in the wet no matter the grade, so bearing grade has not alot to do with it (I have tired fitting INA and SKF bearings to these and it makes no difference). They are not bad hubs just not for prolonged expsoure to wet roads simple as that. The front hub does not seem to suffer. Maybe is also down to the design of the hub but I cannot tell.