bb30 vs pressfit bb30

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

HI, I have a super six evo, pressfit bb30 ( sram red cannondale crank) I just want to know if I put a new sram red crank 2013 or sram 22 bb30 if its ok, cause sometimes on website I can see bb30 crankset and/or pressfit crankset, the crank and spindle are the same or not?? or just the bb change?

thanks
Ninja

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

This whole area has become very confusing because of manufacturers messing around with the names of things.

"BB30" is a technical standard developed by Cannondale.

"PF30" was invented so that the frame could be built to looser standards and still use a "BB30" crankset.

"Pressfit" crankset nowadays could mean anything since everyone else (meaning Shimano) is pressing adapters into frames.

But a BB30 crankset will work in your Cannondale frame. No Problem.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

The only diff between BB30 and PF30 is with BB30 the bearing pressed directly to the frame, while with PF30 there is a cup that is pressed into the frame and then the bearing is pressed into that cup.. this eliminates any imperfections in the "roundness" of the BB shell...

I run the Hollowgram SRM on my Cannondale, so I can't speak for the SRAM design.. the only thing I would make sure of is that there is ample clearance on the back of the crank to now clear the lip of the PF30 cup... My SRM is a 2010 model and does not have a bevel around the center, so I needed to use the new Cannondale 109mm BB spindle with no shoulder and 2 plastic washers with the 2.5mm spacer to push the SRM away from the PF30 cup lip....

timzcat

by timzcat

You are fine. Either crank will fit the Evo. The new Red cranks have a longer spindle and even fit BBRight if you remove the adjuster. I have a Red 22 Quarq in my Evo (PF30) and an Exogram Red in my CAAD 10 (BB30) and they are interchangeable.

ms6073

by ms6073

ParisCarbon wrote:My SRM is a 2010 model and does not have a bevel around the center, so I needed to use the new Cannondale 109mm BB spindle with no shoulder and 2 plastic washers with the 2.5mm spacer to push the SRM away from the PF30 cup lip....

Sure would have been nice if Cannondale had introduced 109mm spindles a year earlier as that way I wouldn't have had to replace two SRM's to work with PF30 cross frames. :unbelievable:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Buffalo

by Buffalo

I gather those are your srm's on eBay right now :mrgreen:

ms6073

by ms6073

Buffalo wrote:I gather those are your srm's on eBay right now :mrgreen:
Yes they are but only because I am downsizing the cross bike inventory and also because I was unable to re-purpose them by finding an economical means of installing them on our time trial bikes that have BSA bottom brackets. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com