American Classic Magnesium Clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Davy1985

by Davy1985

Hello,

does anyone have personal experience with these wheels? Do you need other brake pads then standard brake pads for ALU?

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Unless something's changed in the last month or two, these are not actually available. They were announced quite some time ago but never actually materialized.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Davy1985

by Davy1985

Weird, did find some reviews over here in Europe...

sigismond0

by sigismond0

I have a friend (who works in the industry, no less) who was trying to get a set for a build he was doing earlier this year, and was unable to find any distributors who carried them. He eventually contacted American Classic directly and found out that they aren't available.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Funny...they're still on their website?

http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/ro ... m-clincher

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/road-wheels/magnesium-clincher FAQ tab wrote:Do I need special brake pads with the Magnesium wheels?

We recommend Kool Stop salmon color all weather brake pads and these come standard with the new Mag wheels. These pads are less abrasive brake pads will prolong the life of your wheels.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Yeah, they've been on their website for a long time...

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I've seen a set up for sale on my local ebay. So they must have been available at some time!
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

Phill P

by Phill P

I would have thought Mg rims would be better for disc only rims as you don't have to worry about the ano wearing off

AC did a lot of marketing of their new profile - wonder what the launch issues have been.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Since this IS WW, did you all notice the weight - 1,108g!

That's pretty spectacular.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

farva

by farva

They've produced 3 different versions of these over the last 10+ years. First one had coated brake surface, second machined, & 3rd which seems unavailable at the moment that uses their new rim bed profile. Interestingly enough they used 23mm wide profile on all of them. Kinda ahead of their time in that respect. I had a pair of the machined versions from 2007 ish. They were great but I wrecked them driving my car into garage with bike on roof. I did weigh one of the rims when I parted out the wheels - 280 grams a piece

They do pop up on eBay occasionally

Phill P

by Phill P

farva wrote: I did weigh one of the rims when I parted out the wheels - 280 grams a piece

wow

Mg alloys are not as stiff or strong as Al alloys - so maybe they went 23mm wide to have the stiffness and wall thickness but keep the bead width similar to the Al rims

Sure does sound like a contender for disc rims (no brake track - make them 25mm wide) - wonder why they never did a MTB version
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

farva

by farva

I kept one of the busted rims. It's been years since I weighed it so I checked again. Turns out I was a little off -

as you can see, they adopted the wide profile early on. Circa 2006/2007 Mag 300 left, Mavic CXP33 right

They are certainly trick rims. I almost cried when I drilled them into my garage roof. The only minor issue I had with them was the brake tracks seem to corrode when they sit during the winter, however it's easily fixed with some scotchbrite or just taking them for a ride. I also tried their new tubeless clinchers which are certainly light too, but I had nothing but trouble with their grabby new bead design. Getting tires to lock all the way around takes soapy water + 120 psi compressor blasts. Not exactly practical for roadside repairs. Their new hubs have certainly come a long way - the rear is vastly improved. It even has cool little metal tabs on the aluminum freehub body to prevent cassettes from digging in. Very clever IMO