Shimano 9070 Di2 Noise

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Romper

by Romper

I know there are numerous threads concerning cassette noise/carbon spider etc but I cannot find anything related to my issue.

I am running 9070 Di2 on my Willier Centro SR with standard 53/39 & 11-25 chainrings/cassette. While it is smooth & quiet on the 39, it rattles & sounds industrial on the 53. Noise seems to get progressively worse the smaller the gear, so the 53x11 is tolerable where as the 53x25 is horrible. The only deviation from this pattern is that the 53x19 is the noisiest.

I have been back to my LBS where I purchased the bike from & they have bent over backwards to try & rectify the issue. They have replaced the tip, put on a new chain, tried different wheelsets (with an Ultegra 11spd), tried different lubes (both wax based & teflon/wet lube) to no avail.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any possible solution to what it may be?

Horacio

by Horacio

I have the same bike, same group with the exception of a different crank and rings. I'm running the Clavicula and Rotor q rings. I don't get a lot of noise, but I'm running a KMC gold chain. It seemed at little noisy when new, but now I have a couple thousand miles on it and it seems to have quieted up a little. My biggest qualm is that once in a while it self shifts from the big ring to small out of the blue. It's crazy. And shifting from small ring to big ring is a little tricky with the q rings. Now if I could get the creaking to stop in the front end, that would be terrific!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I wonder if this has something to do with the hollow chainring since the noise is not present on the 39. I'm running Di2 9070 however I'm using Red cranks. Is the noise coming from the crank or the cassette?

Romper

by Romper

As far as I can tell its coming from the crankset/chainrings.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've had this issue on my cervelo because the stock rear derailleur hanger is a soft material and was slightly misaligned. Replace the hanger with a wheels manufacturing one and use the proper tool to align it. I've found di2 9070 is particularly sensitive to this.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

goodboyr

by goodboyr

And make sure the support plate and bolt is set properly on the front derailleur.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

mpower

by mpower

I suspect the noise is coming from the cassette. I have two bikes running the 9070. One with Specialized crank and this bike drivetrain is nosier and the other bike with Campagnolo Super Record cassette is very silent.

Romper

by Romper

LBS and Shimano Australia have replaced the cassette with an Ultegra 11sp and put a new Dura Ace chain on this afternoon. While its too early to make a definitive judgement, my commute home this afternoon indicates that the Dura Ace cassette was the problem.

aerozy

by aerozy

ahhhhh... Dam! I was afraid of this outcome!

Will mostly likely have to go down the same route :oops:
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Ceebers1

by Ceebers1

I have noticed this on a few bikes that I have worked on. Mostly in the 53x12, 13, 11... lower 2 or 3 cogs in the big ring. It seems more prevalent in the stand than on the ground. I kept checking dropout alignment, high limit,etc...

I changed the wheel, and the noise went away. Seems like frame, chainring, wheel, or combination there in were resonant to the frequency that was produced.

I know this might sound strange, but sympathetic vibration has been a big problem with some cantilever brake forks and disk brake frames...

As with all things un seen, I could be completely wrong.

PSM

by PSM

I also find my Ultegra cassette quiter than my D-A dito. :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com