Meilenstein screaming brakepads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

poppiholla

by poppiholla

This summer I was in Italy at lake Como. I had a good time riding my bike equipped with Lightweight Meilenstein clinchers. The weather was really hot and dry.
I noticed during the fast decents that the Meilenstein wheels screamed a lot when braking hard. I use the lightweight brakepads as well.
I was wondering if anybody experienced the same with their Meilenstein wheels. Maybe the brakepads need to replaced or more towed in, but the brakepads are looking fine and I believe the pads are towed in well. The screaming only occured during hard braking on decents.
The Meilenstein clinchers did a great job in the mountains and I am very satisfied with the performace but the screaming was too loud.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

Cork pads. I like Corima.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

You have to use the lightweight brakepads with the wheels to become warrenty. Besides that I think it is a great combination according to stoppingpower, heat absorption, ect. Execept for the loud screaming when braking hard in fast decents.

BananaSmoosh77

by BananaSmoosh77

That is one beautiful bike. :unbelievable:

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Swisstop Prince have been excellent for me but wear quicker than yellows.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

colo, have you been using the Black Prince pads on LW's? We are still waiting for an answer from CarbonSports as to whether they are approved for use on LW's.
In New SwissStop Carbon Pads, HammerTime2 wrote:
CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:
CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:Before we can give approval for usage of Black Prince pads in combination with Lightweight wheels, we have to do our own tests - both on road and in laboratory.
This will take some weeks. Until that only the Lightweight by Swissstop pads are allowed for Lightweights wheels to avoid a loss of warranty.
Has CarbonSports done any testing of the Black Prince pads yet?

We're still testing them.
Andreas, do you have test results yet? Thanks.
Andreas' response "We're still testing them" in the quote above was made on September 25, 2012.

However, there seems to be some information flowing around (not from CarbonSports) suggesting that Black Prince pads aren't suitable for LW's.

Do you have any idea what kind of wear they're causing on the rim brake surface? Can you quantify how Black Prince pad longevity compares to LW (grey) pads or SwissStop yellow? How does the performance compare, in dry conditions and in wet conditions?

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I spoke with Lightweight HQ this week. They said, only use the Lightweight specific pads, otherwise you run the risk of invalidating the warranty. I also spoke to Swissstop who make the pads for Lightweight. They said that they make a special compound pad for Carbon Sports.

I would be interested to know from fellow Lightweight owners on here, how many have experienced a very slight tolerance issue on the front wheel. According to their quality control department, the tolerance can be up to 0,55 mm.

Safe riding

coloclimber

by coloclimber

HammerTime2 wrote:colo, have you been using the Black Prince pads on LW's?

Good clarifying question. No, on CCU's. I found SS yellows to be adequate but grabby on LW Gen IIIs.
Lets face it warranty issue on LW's arent going to be from brake tracks wearing through. More likely a spoke takes a hit from the side in a crash or something inadvertent, but it is owners risk tolerance which dictates comfort level.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Where are you guys getting the Lightweight specific pads here in the US? I bought a few a while back and I am on my last set. Have not being able to find them anywhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com