New headset advice, please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DMF

by DMF

So, new frame coming. And I've lately found that detailed information on hidden/integrated headsets construction is hard to come by. I do know of the Pro-Lite headsets, but looking for more alternatives?

This is what I want in a headset:

Campy style (IS42/IS42) 45/45degree, 1.1/8" non-tapered.

Split fork crown race, this is an absolute must without exceptions.

A conical compression ring between the steerer and upper bearing, preferably plastic/polymer/nylon/delrin/non-metal.

Maximum 15mm stack height.

If it comes with a carbon upper bearing cover, that is a huge bonus (UD/3K/etc not important.)

Any ideas which models might match these requirements? That split crown race seems particularly illusive :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Curious as to why a split ring crown race? Are the tolerances on the milled section of your fork all over the place?
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I just put a Token ZS headset on my new Addict and it has a split crown race. I like it because it means I will be able to remove it if necessary with minimum danger to the fork. It was only £15 and it appears well made, although time will tell. It's also pink (other colours are available):

They do one of the style you want although you'd need to check if it uses the same crown race. Also, the conical ring is metal, although I'm not sure why that matters.

Stockie

by Stockie

Wait for the new Extralite Ultratop and Ultrabottom ;)
I Will make the leap

veganeric

by veganeric

BMX headsets tend to have split races and use the Campy standard. I doubt you'll find one without a metal upper race though. BMX parts are crazy cheap compared to road bike parts, so maybe it's with getting one just for the lower race and spare bearings??

DMF

by DMF

The reason for a split crown race just being simple removal, the fork is all carbon (3T Funda). I really prefer that. Would've liked a non-metal conical ring as I feel it might be more gentle on the steerer, have had that on some of my favourite headsets (Tune Bobo amongst others), although I'd admit in reality really a non-issue.

I did look into the BMX headsets but really hard to tell what's what, and they all seem so cheap (and I don't mean affordable). Did find BBB has split crown races, and make three versions of the bearings, chromoly, stainless, ceramic (hybrid I suppose).

Although, it actually ended like this: Cane Creek these days use the same crown race for all 1.1/8" headsets, be it external, IS, ZS, what have you... And also make decent bearings. So might be no need to ever remove the crown race as it will fit any frame if I stick with any Cane Creek headset. Will change the ugly topcap for a PRO carbon one with the proper stack height.

I really appreciate your time, interest and input though. And the Extralite option would've been interesting as I've been very pleased with most of their parts.

bricky21

by bricky21

A hacksaw, a file, and some very basic mechanical ability enables any crown race to become a split race. No kidding.

DMF

by DMF

I imagine that would have to be a very thin bladed hacksaw, or you'd remove so much material there would be a big gap. Sounds like a poor idea with a full carbon steerer (even though I always place the split end sideways). I've seen some carbon steerers with dent marks from such things.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com