Would you buy a damaged frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seve88

by seve88

I was involved in a crash that I have no recollection of and nobody witnessed. It appears I have collided with a tree. The bike frame and forks do not have a single mark on them. The only damage was a rear flat (the front was still up so probably didn't hit the tree). The impact appears to have been with the right brake lever as this has moved and the handlebars had swivled around the fork. The frameset appears as new without visible damage. However, due to the injuries I wouldn't want to ride the frame again and will need a more upright bike anyway.

I've contacted Specialized and been given details of their crash replacement. It probably doesn't make economic sense for me so I am wondering are there some people who would take a chance and buy such a frameset?

This is the bike http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... tch__plid_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it would only be the frameset for sale.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. I'm not actually offering for sale yet, just trying to weigh up my options.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

You can have your frame inspected for damage.

ryker

by ryker

Strip it down to a frame+fork and inspect. Then have a shop do the same if it looks good to you. If it checks out, you're good to sell (though sharing this story is probably ethical). The steerer and steerer/crown joint are okay?

seve88

by seve88

wassertreter wrote:You can have your frame inspected for damage.

Anyone in particular who does this? Specialized say they would just replace and not take any risk. They do not offer an inspection option.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Get LBS check? Or x-ray of frame? heard that people check carbon in that manner ;)

ryker

by ryker

Another thought: maybe you could be a sweetheart to your LBS and they could be sweethearts to the vendor and crash replace for a different size frame?

aaric

by aaric

Pretty sure Calfee does inspections. Your frameset is likely perfectly fine. The steerer tube and the fork are probably the biggest areas of concern though. Stripping it down, and looking for cracks in the paint is probably a good first step. or indentations / flat sounding areas in the frame / steerer

However, if you look at some of the impact testing that is done on forks, I'd be surprised if there's an issue honestly. The downside of the slight risk though is catastrophic failure.

This demonstrates the risk of buying any used carbon frame - the buyer would have no way of knowing of the frame's history unless specifically told, and any subsequent buyers likely won't be told.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

8)
Last edited by tonytourist on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Why not get a crash replacement and then sell that as an unused frame?

kman

by kman

Because crash replacement isn't exactly free I assume!
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

seve88

by seve88

Correct to say it isn't free, you have to return the damaged frame first otherwise I'm sure they would have a vast increase the number of crashed frames.

In fairness to Specialized they are now offering me a 2014 frame which has a little stiffer carbon (doubt I'll notice any difference as the original was stiff enough) and internal cable routing so I will after all be replacing.

Thanks for the replies.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Of course it's not free, but then at least you'll be able to sell a frame with a clear conscience and at a higher price to help recoup the cost.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timzcat

by timzcat

I agree with the crash replacement to a different size or frame. Any good LBS can get it done.
Keep in mind that you are getting a discounted price but are still paying for the frame so the manufacturer really doesn't care.
Especially if the reason is injury from the crash causing you to need to ride something more upright.