HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:33 pm 

I'm looking to shave some weight off my Calfee and heard about the Tune Wasserträger bottle cages, but I can't find any info/reviews on them.

And where can I get them?

I know some of you have them - are they worth it? Or is there another carbon cage that everyone likes?

Thanks!
E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:31 am 

I've been using Tune Wasserträger cages on my bike for a year already. They are not only fashionable but they are also one of the lightest bottle cage you can get. It also comes with counter sunk aluminum screws. Anything from TUNE has got to be something specially light! The Tune bottle cage would be a perfect match for your exotic Calfee frame, IMHO. There's not a lot of people who have a Calfee & Tune bottle cage.

They have been holding up fairly well, although I'm only a recreational rider, it might be different if you'd be using it for racing. I'm not sure if the thin carbon cage can take a lot of trashing from a racing scenario.

The carbon cage really holds the water bottle really well, too well that sometimes you'd have a hard time getting your bottle out. I learned to twist my bottle a little bit when pulling it out, to easily release it. Unlike any other cages that send your bottle rattling or jumping when you experience rough roads or bumps, this cage really secures your bottle. They are also made to hold only bottles made by Tacx which have a larger diameter than regular bottles.

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:31 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:59 am 

:search:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=26348
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... c&start=15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:24 am 

wut are the differences in bottles between Tacx bottles and regular conical bottles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:50 am 

1 hard insertion, and they gone...

Would go for more durable cages...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:46 am 

Tune also have a universal wassertraeger which I would recommend. I use the same as those pictured. They look great and are damn light, but aren't that practical. As mentioned they rely on the Tacx tapered bottles to keep them secure, which means the bumpier the road the more secure them become, and are sometimes really hard to remove.

The biggest problem for me though, was that I couldn't use them during races where we had neutral support, as other bottles don't work. Now that's a PITA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:16 am 

I love them , use them on my training and best bike :D I no other people that have used them and hate them for being fragile :? but no probs for me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:31 am 
Administrator

I have the same cages under the BTP brand. I've been using them for over a year and a half. I've found the Polar insulated bottles work rather well with them since the Polar cages have a taper.

-First one over the cliff wins!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:23 am 

I'm happy with mine. No problemos so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:33 am 

I've been using them for a while now as well and have been very happy with them, I'm pretty sure they will take any conical bottles.
I'm not sure if I'd use them for racing, certainly not for long road races due to the fact that you probably wont be able to grab a neutral spare, as already mentioned. The aren't as easy to get bottles in/out but if you give the bottle a slight twist as you remove it then it is much easier like sleepydog said.

Positives:
- super light
- look good
- good value compared to some carbon cages
- comes with Tune bottle

Negatives:
- Only fit conical bottles
- Some people find them fragile
- Bottle release not as quick as a regular style cage

Post subject: Don't buy them!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:29 pm 

Hey..

I have had the Tune Wasserträger cages (9 gr.) on my bike and I was NOT happy with them. I could not use them in races because the bottle sit too tight in the cages and it was a fight every time a needed some water.

If you only are WW maybe they are ok, but if you are racing I would look for something else. Maybe the Tune at 12 g. that fit normal buttle-size

/albike

Post subject: Re: Don't buy them!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:53 pm 

One of my BTP cages cracked after a year's use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:18 pm 

Taz wrote:

:exactly:

Still, if our moderators see it fit to regurgitate, who am I to complain :wink:

For what it's worth, I like how they look, love the weight, and will never put them back on my bike. Or maybe I will, for a TT up Alpe d'Huez. On long rides, the bottles get stuck. Maybe they wouldn't if you only use 0.5l and water, but .75l with sportsdrink was a disaster for me. I tried the wax remedy, which resulted in the bottles falling through, making it not hard, but impossible to get them out while riding. Yes, I used the bottles that came with it, and other conical shaped bottles. Yes, I tried twisting, rockin 'n rollin and doing the G#&*amn salsa trying to get them out.

As always, your mileage may vary, but these are definitely not for me (>100km rides, cyclos). They may be fine for shorter rides, using 0.5l bottles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:28 pm 

I never found the lenght of a ride to be of any importance. Of course temperatures here in Greece mean that in a 100km ride I would use at least 2 0,75lt bottles and probably have to refill.
I have raced with them, even in very nasty roads, and never had a problem (provided I had waxed them recently).
Waxing solved my problem but I finally found out that using silicone spray did the same and is a lot easier.
Anyway some of us seem to have no problems with them and some others find them difficult to live with.
At the price that these cages come (usually 1/2 the price of other carbon cages) including the bottle I would say go for it.

Another thing I forgot: On my frame there is no way that the bottles fall through, since the one on the seatube eventually will touch the downtube and stop, and the one on the downtube will touch the bottle on the seatube and stop.

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:28 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:10 pm 

There are framemakers out there that don't recommend them, as in modern CFK frames the rivrets for the bottle cage bolts might not like the force needed to get the bottle out. I know a lot of people who like them, nevertheless.
Just stay away from the "skyline" version, even if its lighter. Wont release bottle at all.

my new stuff

Go to page 1, 2  Next