Dura Ace 9000 11 speed cassette- rubish product design

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PSM

by PSM

I thought that Shimano was a premium brand. :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

PSM wrote:I thought that Shimano was a premium brand. :(
It is. Along with the other two.
There are always boutique items better than the premium in every piece of hardware.

Thanh

by Thanh

Should I return its (haven't open it yet) and exchange for SRAM one?

uraqt

by uraqt

I would for sure : )

C

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

For sure? I'm not trying to be harsh but have you used one yet uraqt?

Here's my whole opinion on this issue. Yes I have had a carbon carrier that failed while pulling away from a stoplight. This was back in November or December. I raced a bunch through the whole season on four other cassettes, two on a set of race wheels and the other training. No problems.
Are some people having problems with the carbon carrier? Yes. But let's think about this. Your going to hear the worst of the worst on forums. People are going to complain about something they don't like or something going wrong. Not many people are going to speak up or take the time to write about a good experience or nothing going wrong.

Bottom line is that I'm sure the majority of people are having no issues with the 9000 cassettes. One thing I have noticed is that the individuals that have problems with the carbon carrier failing continue to have issues with it. Could this be user error? Maybe. Could there be a correlation between the two? I would bet so. I think it is a little extreme to suggest that everyone should avoid them. I also had one case of the creaks but noticed it went away with my weekly bike wash. I must add that I re-tightened the lockring and put a little drop of lube on each rivet. Plus I always prefer a shimano cassette over a sram one.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I tried that logic on page 1........

Chello

by Chello

If that logic holds true then where are the threads of all other manufacturers cassettes failing?

Chader09

by Chader09

I don't think he was claiming the same issue with other makers. Just that we often hear about the bad while good experiences don't get as much discussion like "Squeaky wheel gets the grease".

I tend to agree. How many actual cases are even discussed here compared to total sales? I have no idea, but it must be fairly low if Shimano doesn't feel the need to address it differently.

Based on common manufacturing views of rejects/problems, I suspect the rate is 1% or less, but that is complete speculation of course.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

goodboyr wrote:I tried that logic on page 1........

I suppose Shimano just radically changed the design of the cluster for the sake of it.....

We're on 19 pages so i think your logic goes out of the window.

uraqt

by uraqt

@ horned frog, why would I use any part that I know is going to break? I don't understand?

C

PS Doesn't "running" design change imply that there is an issue? Why would you waste engineering time and money to redesign a part? Who is going to tell the engineer, hey you have to redesign this part but there is nothing wrong with it... oh and after you finish that please watch all the cat videos on youtube. (everyone loves to wast their time)

: )

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

But you don't know it is going to break. I have been through 4 other cassettes no issues. They were even the first generation ones. And so you haven't tried one. That's what most of this thread is; reported failures the others bashing the product and telling people that no one should buy them when they haven't had any experience with the cassettes.

And who cares if we are on page 19 that has nothing to do with the about of fail cassettes. Most of this thread is people saying "oh I can't believe shimano went with this design" not every single post is a report of a failed cassette. Not even half of the posts are.

I never said there was nothing wrong with the design. I said it will work for some and not for others.

I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but have we ever heard of a professional/world tour rider having a carrier fail during a race? I sure haven't.

I think the 9000 cable issue is way worse then the cassette issue. Those are guaranteed to fail at some point.

uraqt

by uraqt

Your right I don't 'Know", however the risk to reward isn't worth it for me... there is more than enough circumstantial evidence to scare me...

The risk of just riding a bike at 60 MPH is more than enough for me add extra that a part might fail and has a history of failing is not really acceptable .. ...

C

PS look at it this way... so I ride my new in box cassette and it does fail is Shimano going to pick up the cost?.. new bike, hospital time, missed work time pay my bills ??? or just the cost of installing or removing the cassette?

mattr

by mattr

uraqt wrote:there is more than enough circumstantial evidence to scare me...
Really? I'd avoid leaving the house if I were you, or switching on any appliances, or having a shower. Lots of real evidence to suggest those activities will actually kill you.

The chap up there quoting a 1% failure rate is probably a factor of 10 out, just for weight weenie members. And in the grand scheme of things, that's a small failure rate in a miniscule sample size.

It's probably just a batch tolerance issue. Some cassettes in some usage cases might fail. So the redesign eliminates this risk. Before the tools get a few hundred thousand more cycles on them, and the failure rate increases.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

19 pages and finally some sensible talk.........its about time!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

Ok, I'll keep trying....

What is the acceptable rate of failure for a cassette?

C