Dura Ace 9000 11 speed cassette- rubish product design

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mimason

by mimason

Or it has to do with the recently announced price reductions on Shimano products in the US.

Belisarius

by Belisarius

pdlpsher1 wrote:I'm seeing the DA cassette going on sale for $148. I have a feeling that Shimano is clearing the old stock and getting ready to launch a revised cassette. Anyone has info. on the new cassette?

It does not matter. won the TT portion of the Ottawa Fondo last year using the Hyperglide+Campy chain+ Gore cables. PERRREFECT setup

On my second bike, SRAM HYPER + SRAM chain + Yokozuna cables. Near perfect- the SRAM pings ocasionally, false catching. very rarely though, 1/50 miles or so if slowing down and reaccelerating.

Shimano cassette, PTFE and chain are GARBAGE. cannot believe we wasted a summer replacing parts under 3 yr warranty...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

Belisarius wrote:.
Shimano cassette, PTFE and chain are GARBAGE. cannot believe we wasted a summer replacing parts under 3 yr warranty...

Kind of hard to disagree with DA cables being bad. The PTPE/polymer coating of the DA cables start unwinding/shredding and clogging. If nothing else, they look horrible...

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I'm curious to know how many of these cassette failures are on cassettes that are used on Shimano wheels or hubs rather than third party manufacturers.

tb123

by tb123

Mine started out on a Zipp 202 Firecrest and ended up on a Zipp 404 Firestrike when it broke. (I had already swapped out an Ultegra cassette on the 202's so the DA cassette was in the cupboard when I bought the 404's)

Belisarius

by Belisarius

ultimobici wrote:I'm curious to know how many of these cassette failures are on cassettes that are used on Shimano wheels or hubs rather than third party manufacturers.

Does it matter? Dropped in on several bike shops these two years, and casually asked about these issues. The number one answer I get is that "the Shimano cassette kept having problems and clients were coming back, and we kept replacing them through Shimano." Once I mentioned the core issues, the Eurika! dumbfounded look I see tells it all. Veteran mechanics jumping on a computer to confirm that the carbon-based Shimano cassette is a design failure is a unique experience. Or the shop owner having trouble getting his wife's cassette to stop creaking, proper gear changing (he runs campy), again, priceless. When showing them on any assembled bike how the Shimano chain is too wide and touches the cogs, the stun effect is complete: "It never could work??!?!?"

Replaced my Gore cables as their own PTFE had began wearing on the inside and shifting was marginally compromised (nothing as bad as Shimano after 1 weeks). Only did it as a rear hanger snap destroyed my DA cassette while riding, and we opened it up and also redid the cable. 6500 kms. Sixty five hundred kms. AND...

.... After removing the cables, I stripped the PTFE coating from both, and they ARE AS GOOD AS NEW, ready to go. 6500 kms aggressively ridden Gore cable, now just a shiny glossy cable, no compression, no permanent bends, looks as if new out of the box. While waiting for Yokozuna cables to arrive, tried the top Teflon-covered Jagwire for two rides and they began shifting erratically after 100 kms. When pulling them out, their Teflon coating was coming off and the cables were permanently bent.

Am presently running Yokozuna on both bikes, again, terrific performance- NO PTFE to worry about. The Gore cable is going on whatever next job- whenever am replacing cables again.

BTW the new 9100 cassette is supposedly running carbon as well, the lesson was evidently not learned... We get what we pay for, and 9000/9100 cables, chain and cassettes are overpriced rubbish junk.

At this point have amassed over 10,000 kms riding two Shimano bikes with SRAM 1190 hyperglide, Campy/SRAM chains, Gore and Yokozuna cables- flawless...

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I switched about 12 months ago to the DA9000 cassettes on both my wheelsets from SRAM 1190. Primarily due to price.

Anyway, not one issue with them. One is on a DTSwiss 240s rear hub, the other on Reynolds Strike SLG factory hub.

I did switch to the newer Jagwire cables, they works much better than the previous iteration.

I must say though, the SRAM XG-1190 steath ring 11speed cassettes, that are 1 piece, are quiet and really nice. Just the price is darn near 2x of the Shimano DA.

Of course, the prices have started to drop a bit on those even. Think I paid around $130ish for the DA9000 last year. The SRAM is still $200+++?!?!

When the DA wear out, going back to the SRAM. They are overall better IMHO.

tb123

by tb123

Don't think I would bother wasting my money on the high end cassettes, Ultegra is just fine.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Sorry if somebody mentioned a solution to the creaking. I skipped all the posts between the 1st and last pages.
The creaking results from the carbon fiber cog carriers chafing against each other. Putting a thin layer of grease between the two carriers solved the problem for maybe a hundred miles, only. So I put a thin layer of teflon tape directly on the carbon fiber piece - actually split the tape down the middle to create a 5mm x approx 150mm strip. No more creaking, ever.
Successfully employed the same tactic on 7900. Works like a charm.
Oldbie

uraqt

by uraqt

The thread is full of pix of broken 9000 cassettes, the design is defective. Shimano is lucky that nobody has died.

C

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Shimano's lead Technical Instructor Nick Murdick explains more in a response to a bike rumour article. http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/06/06/shi ... -creaking/

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Pop.
Using Tapatalk

uraqt

by uraqt

I don't care about the creaking I care about the breaking .... it's clear from the number of post broken cassettes that unacceptable that there is an issue and it's unacceptable that Shimano isn't replacing them.. there are even a few of the V2 cassettes failing ....

C

kgt

by kgt

tb123 wrote:Don't think I would bother wasting my money on the high end cassettes, Ultegra is just fine.

that

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tb123

by tb123

uraqt wrote:I don't care about the creaking I care about the breaking .... it's clear from the number of post broken cassettes that unacceptable that there is an issue and it's unacceptable that Shimano isn't replacing them.. there are even a few of the V2 cassettes failing ....

C

I got mine replaced under warranty, it was about 10 days short of 3 years when it broke (it had spent some time in the cupboard during that period).