Dura Ace 9000 11 speed cassette- rubish product design

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

And of course its the internet so internet statistics holds........one failure reported out weighs thousands of "no problems".

by 4914

further to the exploding cassette saga, I have spoken with a senior guy at Shimano Europe and told them about my experience... though he played it down a bit he admitted that they were aware of the problem and had some of them come back in but were not inundated.

I didn't call Shimano to complain for my benefit...but because quite simply its down right dangerous and if they were not aware of the problem they need to be because its only a matter of time until someone has a bad accident.
I've already agreed with the LBS where I bought my bike to replace it with a SRAM 11 spd and I'm confident that will be ok.

Cant remember who asked but I have ksyrium sls 2013, and although I haven't seen one in person I've been told that the ultegra 11spd cassette also has a carbon mid body.

Pleased to hear that re-torqueing has solved the noise for some people..... however, after installing three cassettes correctly using grease on the cogs and the threads and then re-torqueing to the specified tension and STILL having the carbon body shatter like candy. there is no way I could ever trust this product. looking forward to fitting the SRAM when it comes in tomorrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

i suppose by re-torquing the cassette means that there's some slight compression on the carbon spider. being that the become loose, assuming that loose cogs will tear the spider up...thus causing failure. i have checked my cassette a few times...not because of noise, but to repack grease in my DT240 hubs.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

goodboyr wrote:And of course its the internet so internet statistics holds........one failure reported out weighs thousands of "no problems".

One failure? I counted more than a dozen under this thread alone: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=62450 Using your math I assume there are perhaps 50,000 DA cassette in use with no problems?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It looks pretty fragile to me on it's ability to handle the torque generated by a fit cyclist. I also question whether is material could really be deemed 'carbon fiber'. It looks like reinforced Nylon used to make such things as automotive engine intake manifold.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

pdlpsher1 wrote:It looks pretty fragile to me on it's ability to handle the torque generated by a fit cyclist.

Fitness doesn't break bike parts, weight of the rider is a bigger culprit. A 250 lb cyclist can create higher tenth of a second force than any elite 160 lb athlete. Holding 400 watts for an hour won't break anything. But send a big guy over a small bump with the crank at 9 o'clock while out of the saddle and boom.

And yeah, that cassette design is a bit of a joke - very surprised to see Shimano let that one out of the door.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have over 2000 miles on my Two bikes fitted with DA 9000. I have never had an issue with any of my cassettes. I asked my local bike and they have never heard of any issues either?? I can't imagine Shimano would not have done extensive testing on these cassettes and material. By the way, I am no WW. I weight 175 lbs!

goodboyr

by goodboyr

pdlpsher1 wrote:
goodboyr wrote:And of course its the internet so internet statistics holds........one failure reported out weighs thousands of "no problems".

One failure? I counted more than a dozen under this thread alone: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=62450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Using your math I assume there are perhaps 50,000 DA cassette in use with no problems?

You should hide under your couch and sell your bike. Lots of problems get reported here........because that what you do when you have problems. And you get good info and advice......BUT for every problem reported, there are many, many without problems and they usually don't post "no problems". If you went with the same logic:
- most zipps are crap
- most cervelos crack
- most ultegra chains break
- etc.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

Had a guy riding next to me and his carbon carrier broke as we came up to a set of traffic lights! Luckily he didn't fall off really. It was only one of the sprockets affected. FWIW bike had done 2,600kms without issue prior...

timzcat

by timzcat

One failure? I counted more than a dozen under this thread alone: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=62450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Using your math I assume there are perhaps 50,000 DA cassette in use with no problems?[/quote]
You should hide under your couch and sell your bike. Lots of problems get reported here........because that what you do when you have problems. And you get good info and advice......BUT for every problem reported, there are many, many without problems and they usually don't post "no problems". If you went with the same logic:
- most zipps are crap
- most cervelos crack
- most ultegra chains break
- etc.[/quote]

You got those 3 things right. :lol:

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Ok, then, Timzcat, how about this? Insert your ride into the google search and add the words "failure", "problems", "cracking", and see what comes up. Then you may conclude what you are riding is an accident waiting to happen.
My apologies for taking this thread way OT. Carry on.

timzcat

by timzcat

Good luck it's a Cannondale Evo Ultimate. :roll:

I had a Cervelo and cable stops that fall off I found undesirable. You can't argue, they've had their fair share of issues.

boots2000

by boots2000

Mine is creaking now. It is about 2 months old- I weigh 64-65 kg.
I tried switching qr skewers to see if that was the issue. Still creaks, lockring is tight.

rmerka

by rmerka

timzcat wrote:You can't argue, they've had their fair share of issues.

Just like Cannondale...

OT: I'll probably replace my cassette with a Force 22 if it breaks or wears out whichever comes first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

rmerka wrote:
timzcat wrote:You can't argue, they've had their fair share of issues.

Just like "Crack and fail"...

OT: I'll probably replace my cassette with a Force 22 if it breaks or wears out whichever comes first.

Fixed that for you....... :twisted: