Dura Ace 9000 11 speed cassette- rubish product design

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

uraqt

by uraqt

What would you guys suggest? Everyone has paid good money for a cassette at that weight, and Shimano backs the warranty. It's not like Shimano is going to give everyone their cash back.

I am shocked that the design hasn't been changed already.

C
Last edited by uraqt on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

Do the pros break these things during races?

by 11.4

F45 wrote:Do the pros break these things during races?

This has been my question. Pro bikes are being photographed and covered in minutiae these days, and yet in how many photos of bikes at Flanders, for example, do we see non-DuraAce cassettes being used? And pros aren't hesitant to out problems with SRAM Red front shifters or chainrings. We would be hearing about this in the pro ranks.

uraqt

by uraqt

I have assumed that the pros are using the Ultegra cassettes that have not been reported to fail. The pros have no reason to use the lighter cassette. I would also assume that if the pros are using DA cassettes they are not riding in the gears that are failing : )

I think there are no TI gears in the Ultegra cassette, making it more durable mileage wise : ) ( US Shimano web site has no info)

C

bwdftp

by bwdftp

Yes, eg Cadel Evans 2013 Giro

by 11.4

uraqt wrote:I have assumed that the pros are using the Ultegra cassettes that have not been reported to fail. The pros have no reason to use the lighter cassette. I would also assume that if the pros are using DA cassettes they are not riding in the gears that are failing : )

I think there are no TI gears in the Ultegra cassette, making it more durable mileage wise : ) ( US Shimano web site has no info)

C

Assuming isn't the same as their not using Dura Ace. Or not using Dura Ace because they don't trust Dura Ace.

Come on. There are plenty of people on this forum who have good access to manufacturers and pro riders. Let's hear from people who have evidence that these cassettes have broken. I'd be totally ready to believe that Dura Ace cassettes are designed with a lot of fragility and don't last well, but I'd like real evidence, not supposition. And by evidence I mean not just casual riders with breakages that are statistically very infrequent, but pros. Who can show us all the evidence?

F45

by F45

bwdftp wrote:

Yes, eg Cadel Evans 2013 Giro

Maybe Slagter in Paris Nice this year?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

11.4 wrote:Assuming isn't the same as their not using Dura Ace. Or not using Dura Ace because they don't trust Dura Ace.

Come on. There are plenty of people on this forum who have good access to manufacturers and pro riders. Let's hear from people who have evidence that these cassettes have broken. I'd be totally ready to believe that Dura Ace cassettes are designed with a lot of fragility and don't last well, but I'd like real evidence, not supposition. And by evidence I mean not just casual riders with breakages that are statistically very infrequent, but pros. Who can show us all the evidence?

I don't see the importance of breakage by professional level riders in this case. Fitness doesn't break equipment, size does. This is particularly true for drive train components. Bottom line is we have all seen the photos. The damn things are imploding. I can't think of any example of another major brand of cassette failing in this fashion. This and the cable issue is just so disappointing from such a reliable company.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

New failure mode now? Implosion? As stated earlier, unless there's evidence beyond anecdotal events, I'm not on board. My cassettes have not exploded nor imploded.

petal666

by petal666

goodboyr wrote:New failure mode now? Implosion? As stated earlier, unless there's evidence beyond anecdotal events, I'm not on board. My cassettes have not exploded nor imploded.
Look at the pictures. Do you think they are photoshopped?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The pictures are real. They represent anecdotal evidence. You know what that means, right?

petal666

by petal666

Considering how many people I know personally who have broken them, including 1 myself, I don't think it is anecdotal.

boots2000

by boots2000

Agreed- I broke one and I am not a massive power guy.
Fortunately the broken cog was a 21- not a gear that I would be sprinting in. If you broke something like that in a sprint it would likely result in a crash.

petal666 wrote:Considering how many people I know personally who have broken them, including 1 myself, I don't think it is anecdotal.

upside

by upside

I have warrantied 2 11X28 Dura Ace cassettes... the top 2 cogs started to make a terrible grinding noise and it only got worse. I have since replaced the Dura Ace to Ultegra and so far I have had no issues. There seems to be an issue in it's design because I have never had to have cassette warrantied ever. Just some of my 2 cents. Won't buy another one and like the Srams design much better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Christo

by Christo

Very late to the party here, have just seen the pics. Cogs look dirtier than I keep mine, are you using a wet lubricant? If so, could this be getting in around the rivets and causing delamination/weakness?