internal eps inside a non eps.frame. splicing wires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Has anyone spliced wires so that your non eps frame can use eps?

I was thinking that splicing wires can allow you to fit the wire inside standard frame and then reconnect them without drilling your frame or having it retrofitted?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

It's just wiring, nothing special about it at all.

You can splice it however you like, add crimp connectors etc, just make sure the connections are strong and waterproof (might be an idea to heatshrink wrap the joins if space permits). Not done it myself but a freind has done pretty much what you're looking at doing with no issues.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

At sometime, the wires got to come out of the frame so a hole needs to be drilled. Don't know how you are going to not drill but keep the wires inside.

I thought of the same thing when I did mine, you will have to splice the before the connector end. This will void your warranty on all the components that you cut the wires on. The other option would be to add the extension harness, but then all the electrical connectors are out of the frame.

I was able to run my cables so the only ones expose are the ones to the rear derailleur, front derailleur, and power unit. Once they have the power supply available to the public that fits inside the seat tube, then the only wires are the ones going to the derailleurs.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i was going to get the long wires (since I have a small frame-DE ROSA KING 3) and cut near the connector. i don't think i'll need to drill (will use the water cage bolt holes near the front derailleur as one exit point), the rear stay already has a hole, and the bike already has holes drilled for regular internal cable routing.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Then the connectors are all going to be exposed, which may not be that bad, but you would have a lot of wire material sticking out of the frame. As I mentioned, I looked into that and once I had the parts, I instantly thought no.

I did run the cables inside the handlebar, the interface inside the stem, and exited the wires inside the steering tube. Even ran a fiber optic cable so I could see the multicolored LED to the stem cap. Clean routing and no wires exposed.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

that is a great idea butcher. how did you use a fiber optic cable? how did you attach the cable securely and to what? you drilled a small hole on the top of the stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

It's a carbon fork so I sleeved another carbon fiber tube inside the steering tube. It is now almost twice as thick as it was. I felt much better when I drilled the hole. The hole in the top cap was drilled like you would drill any other hole. Not knowing it would work, I used a cheap aluminum top cap. Carbon is not hard to drill, but you must remember that it is a slow procedure.

Due to the sharp bends of the optic cable, the light does not transfer great, but you can see it as long as you are not in direct sunlight. I am also 52yo, so it is hard to see anything anymore.

I am so busy opening my own business, I would hate to say I will send you pictures, but I will attempt to do so. Shoot me an email address.