Help winning the national TT title

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

hna wrote:You might increase cda by having your ass higher though.

No... your ass will not be higher than your back. And note that your saddle is only higher because your feet are higher. There is no increase in frontal area from this.
formerly rruff...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ta williamsf1.

And I'd take 5 free watts, no matter what my power out put.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Exactly. Even of we only make 20 watts if difference that closes the gap significantly. Lots of small gains is what we are after. Full spec list coming soon. Sorry for the delay guys
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Hey T, how's things? Is that Dan Waluszewski's bike? And are you comparing it to Joe Coopers? If so, they were both built up by Capital Cycles, who build my bikes btw

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Hey Stu, sure is Dans bike. Capital has a good rep in old Welly. Build list coming tomorrow. Prepare your keyboards guys.

Myself and theremery have devised a plan to heat shrink the bottom of the pedals to gain some watts. Kind of like the look keo blades that have the carbon base.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Here's a pic of Dan setting a new course record in a local race around here on the bike in question about a week or so ago Image

wasfast

by wasfast

He may consider rotating the helmet further back on his head. It looks rather silly standing around at the start but helps keep the tail down against you back. As shown, if he looks down, instant sail. I prefer feeling the tip of the helmet touchcing my back as a guide.

Great project, hoping your man wins it!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

sponsored by subway. wicked

jimboweenie

by jimboweenie

In the original pic the bar-end shifter is turned down into the wind. Could you replace it with Campag-style shifters that stay in the same place as you shift?

odin99

by odin99

play around with the praymantis/Floyd Landis position. works for some (although not all)

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

From that photo he appears to have a lot of room for getting lower in the front, and working on the shrug and turtle. I'd guess his CdA is pretty high and he makes up for it with power.

And I'll 2nd that the helmet should be rotated back. Holding a position where the top of the helmet and the top of the back are at the same level is usually best.

Also, narrow elbows spacing is usually best, and if that doesn't work for him, mounting a bottle between the arms was found to usually be faster than no bottle by Cervelo.
formerly rruff...

rjk8

by rjk8

Friction Facts for lubes and chains. www.friction-facts.com
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

rjk8

by rjk8

WMW wrote:From that photo he appears to have a lot of room for getting lower in the front, and working on the shrug and turtle. I'd guess his CdA is pretty high and he makes up for it with power.

And I'll 2nd that the helmet should be rotated back. Holding a position where the top of the helmet and the top of the back are at the same level is usually best.

Also, narrow elbows spacing is usually best, and if that doesn't work for him, mounting a bottle between the arms was found to usually be faster than no bottle by Cervelo.

+1
R.J.
Some people tune their car, I prefer to tune my bike.
http://ilcappellino.blogspot.com/

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

The rider is pretty aiming his position is good. But may be limited to going lower by the bike. Ill suggest a fitment by another fitter, see what he says.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I've seen so many atrocious fits by "pro fitters". Atrocious for aero that is... maybe not so bad for comfort.

All the fast people I know have fit themselves via trial and error. IMO getting the aero part right is the first priority. Then you work on what you need to do so you can make power when you are aero, and ride a lot in that position so it *becomes* comfortable... enough.
formerly rruff...