Help winning the national TT title

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

The latest UCI regs clarify that you can't tape anything much, so if they are sticking tightly to the regs........

"Similarly, the addition of tape or any other cover to conceal screws or bolts on the bicycle, as shown in the photo below, is prohibited. The sole exceptions to this rule relate to rubber plugs protecting the screws that are providing by the frame manufacturer and the valve access hole of disc wheels that may be covered provided that the cover used is supplied by the wheel manufacturer (and no other party)."

The middle of page 35....
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... M&LangId=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

So if you really wanted you could walk round and get all non manufacturer disc hole covers disqualified prior to the race? Would they have to I force this as its in the UCI rules and it's a UCI event?
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

It's one of those silly, over specific, UCI rules that doesn't serve any real purpose and that I doubt would ever get enforced by anybody, but yeah, in theory.
Likely better to wait until after the race though, when it's too late to just pull the tape off ;)

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

You gotta love the UCI.... ;) I have every intentions on brining this into play

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Well...... if people are going to end up hating you anyhow.... :lol:

Equipment:
- Modifying equipment used in competition in relation to products supplied by the manufacturer is prohibited for obvious safety reasons. Whether it is a matter of modifying the length of the saddle, adapting approved wheels, filing off fork drop-out safety lugs, meeting the 3:1 rule by adding tape to handlebars or adding a nonslip system on the saddle, no modification of equipment that is not conducted by the manufacturer is authorised by the UCI without prior approval.
- The bicycle must be accessible to all participants. All the components of the bicycle must be available commercially (i.e. available on the market or sold directly by the manufacturer) at the latest nine months after their first use in competition. To implement this nine-month period, the manufacturer must publicly announce that the product in question is being used in competition and when it will be available for sale. In all cases the product must be a finished product in the condition that it will be marketed. The testing of a prototype in competition is prohibited.
Thus, it is not allowed to use equipment in competition that is not either available on the market or previously communicated by the manufacturer (with a nine months period for the marketing).

Helmets:
- However, additions to the helmet are not allowed (cover, tape, etc.).
- Add-on helmet visors are authorised provided that they are supplied by the helmet manufacturer.

Clothing
- “During competitions, riders' attendants may not bear any advertising matter on their clothing other than that authorised for their team's riders for the race in question.”

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

CarlosFerreiro wrote:All the components of the bicycle must be available commercially (i.e. available on the market or sold directly by the manufacturer) at the latest nine months after their first use in competition. To implement this nine-month period, the manufacturer must publicly announce that the product in question is being used in competition and when it will be available for sale. In all cases the product must be a finished product in the condition that it will be marketed. The testing of a prototype in competition is prohibited.
How does this work? If a product used in competition does not wind up becoming available within nine months of use in competition, is the rider retroactively disqualified? If Rider A on Team X uses equipment which does not become available within nine months, and helps rider B on Team X win the race, but Rider B is not using such equipment, then is Rider A retroactively disqualified, while Rider B's results, obtained with the assistance of a retroactively disqualified rider, are allowed to stand?

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Yup, I know..... :evil:
Or how about when a rider uses a custom TT helmet that is not on sale, and the manufacturer, talking to the press on the same day, says (basically) "we will never sell this helmet, but maybe we'll use some of its features in some future commercial model" :!:

AGW

by AGW

Or like how Team GB technically has their track, TT, and road frames "for sale" but are built to order at a prohibitive expense.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Which the UCI explicitly have allowed in the regs for some reason - there is no limit on how few you may to sell, or at what price..... :?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

CarlosFerreiro wrote:Which the UCI explicitly have allowed in the regs for some reason - there is no limit on how few you may to sell, or at what price..... :?

The rules are stupid and appear to be arbitrarily enforced or ignored. Why? Probably because the organization is corrupt. Operating in this way gives them license to do pretty much anything they want.

Are bribes involved? Wouldn't surprise me a bit...

Can't we just get rid of them all and start over?
formerly rruff...

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Looking at one of these fibrelyte rings for him, are they available for 7800 10spd DA SRM?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie