BMC TMR01 vs. Giant Propel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The Madone should be the most comfortable ride probably, though its aero advantage pales in comparison. I feel quick enough on it though, and the ride quality makes me fully satisfied in all aspects.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

VNTech wrote:Can't comment on the BMC, but the Propel rides quite well. I'd classify it as "highly acceptable." It's stiff in the right directions. Not overly uncomfortable. If you want aero, it's one of the best options. The only aero bikes that ride better are the Foil (if you like stiff) and the Madone. The Propel tests significantly faster in the tunnel than both. Again, it's all about what you value. (and just because you dislike something that is valued by others doesn't make them wrong, by the way.)

The major problem with it is the brakes. They are dumb, no doubt about it. Workable, but dumb. Too bad we can't buy the custom-machined version that Belkin was riding. Someone could make some, I suppose; it's a very simple design.

Oh wait...you now can!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-Mount-Ae ... 233144c694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VNTech

by VNTech

That's truly fantastic. If your'e going to buy the bike, budget in those brakes.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

spud

by spud

wow, $325 for breathed on cantilevers...

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^what???? You gotta figure, the machining, cost of setup labor, small production etc. Not bad for a custom machined brake like the pros have. DuraAce cost that much.

naisan

by naisan

airwise wrote:IIRC the Tour test with the automated mannequin resulted in the BMC saving just ten watts compared to a bog standard Canyon F8 at 45kph - less when you fitted water bottles.

Funny that the canyon was more aero then the stock.

Maybe the point is that the canyon is pretty aero, and not representative of most road bikes.

addicted

by addicted

Sorry for a bit of drift.....how does the Ridley Noah FAST frame compare to these? Anyone ride one?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^Not sure, but the Ridley is a boat anchor compared. Stiffness/aero numbers are comparable with the best, but it weighs a metric ton.

Search around, there are a few comparisons that Giant and a few mags did showing the numbers.

addicted

by addicted

Zigmeister wrote:^Not sure, but the Ridley is a boat anchor compared. Stiffness/aero numbers are comparable with the best, but it weighs a metric ton.

Search around, there are a few comparisons that Giant and a few mags did showing the numbers.

Lol, hadn't thought about the weight! Well, Competitivecyclist lists the size large weight as 2260 grams.

Looking at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=119709

The Giant Propel frame/fork/topper/brakes comes in at 1894, although he only looks to be weighing one set of brake calipers, so probably add another 150, so close to 2050 grams. About a 200 gram weight diff from the noah.

Not to say that 200 grams is nothing, but I wouldn't call it an anchor. And that's comparing to one of the top new aero frames (propel) that claims to push the aero frame weight barrier...

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Compared to the Propel, it is 1lb heavier the Noah. These are of course Giant numbers. As that thread shows, the weights are all published as lower than actual. Propel is more likely in the Scott Foil range total. But still 1/2 lb lighter. I think Greipel's total bike weight is just over 16lbs.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The S5 has way lower drag than the Ridley even in a competitor's test. The S2/S3 will solve the stiffness deficit, so things are looking up for Cervelo. I really wonder now what a new S5 would be like, considering Cervelo has had the new S3 design for several years now.

Roundabout

by Roundabout

I'm expecting it to look a lot like the new P3 - borrowing some of the P5 design and hopefully the paint design as well.

naisan

by naisan

After back to back rides on both bikes, I purchased a BMC TMR01 which I am now building up. . .

The Giant was much less compliant to me (sharp impacts felt acutely) wheras the BMC transmitted the bumps, but they were strangely muted.

The BMC was also a much slower handling bike, which I liked a great deal, as I've never had a problem with a modern race bike being responsive enough, but when I am tired a twitchy bike annoys me (e.g. sitting up hands off bars to stretch my back should be comfortable, not requiring a bunch of attention).

As I was cutting the seatpost on the BMC I noted that the BMC seatpost is foam filled (for the Di2 battery), but I wonder if that's one reason why bumps feel muted.

I have also noted that after reading carefully through a number of reviews with the giant, the bars may account for up 5-14 watts of drag reduction depending on who you listen to and what they are compared to.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

I didn't comment on your original post not having any Propel experience, but I do have a TMR01 and love it. I've used it from fast team rides to a century and it is great all around. I did just switch the group set from Red to 6870. It was a bear fishing mech der housing through that frame. Plus, the TMR just looks hotter than the Propel, IMHO.
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build