HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:21 pm 

is this possible? I have a DT mtn hub 135mm and want to use it on my road bike. Can i just take out some spacers or something?

I checked out the DT swiss site and didnt see anything.

thanks for any help

jeremy

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:21 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:24 pm 

I did this a few years ago, you need to order a spare part that goes on the axle next to the non drive side bearing. The new part is 5mm smaller than the old one and pretty easy to replace. The newer hubs have changed a bit in design since but I think this is still possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:25 pm 

You can swicth the left cap, that is the only diffrence, i done it with 4 of mine dt's (bonty race x lite, asswell)

Post subject: The new DT 240S
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:28 pm 

There was a mid-run design change in the DT 240S last year. DT decided to move the non-drive side flange in 2-3 mm. I know because one set of 240S that I purchased had a wider spacing than another. I called DT, in the U.S., and they explained the mid-run design change and said to send it to them and they would replace it with a newer one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:45 pm 

jeremyb wrote:
I checked out the DT swiss site and didnt see anything.

The information is in their "DT Swiss 240s TECHNICAL HUB MANUAL" at their website: http://www.dtswiss.com/data/files/MAN_E ... 162428.pdf

I copied the diagrams and marked the parts which are different in the two hub models with yellow:

Attachments:
DT Swiss 240s.PNG
DT Swiss 240s.PNG [ 126.04 KiB | Viewed 997 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:04 pm 

Are you sure you need to replace all those parts? I only did the nr 1 part and it works fine for me :noidea: It is being used with a 9s shimano casette, maybe you only need to replace the body if you want to use it for 10s? I also think the ring nut is steel in the mtb hub for extra strength and you don't nessesarily have to replace it but you can to save some weight, but I'm not sure. As said, only changing part 1 has worked fine for me so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:11 pm 

Boonen wrote:
Are you sure you need to replace all those parts? I only did the nr 1 part and it works fine for me :noidea: It is being used with a 9s shimano casette, maybe you only need to replace the body if you want to use it for 10s? I also think the ring nut is steel in the mtb hub for extra strength and you don't nessesarily have to replace it but you can to save some weight, but I'm not sure. As said, only changing part 1 has worked fine for me so far.

I agree, and I never said you have to replace all 3 parts, I just pointed out which parts are different.
The only part you have to change is pos. #1, unless you want to switch to Campagnolo body.
If you use a 10 speed cassette on a 9 speed body, you just have to use a spacer ring on the inside IIRC.
Pos. #5 and pos. #10 are only different to offer more strengt on the MTB version vs. less weight on the road version I guess, but it shouldn't be nessasary to change them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:02 am 

thanks guys!

jeremy

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:02 am 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:55 pm 

I have a set of 135mm dt 180s I got from a MTB.
Does this approach also work for DT Swiss 180 hubs?, ie can I buy the same NDS axle cap end and covert it to 130mm?

Thanks!