Powertap 2.4 SL Not working..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addicted

by addicted

Hi all, posted this on slowtwitch, but thought Id check here as well, as I know lots of folks here have experience with powertaps.

I recently purchased two -new- sets of Mavic Cosmic Carbone Pro Powertap wheelsets. Both were the older 2.4 SL versions, so I purchased the updater for them, which indicated that it ran successfully for both (to make both ANT+ compatible).
However, when I try to pair with my 910XT, nothing seems to be happening. I go to the bike 1, select powermeter, yes, and restart calibration. Then it basically shows nothing, even as I spin the wheel... Same deal with a EDGE 500..
I did also put new batteries in both hubs.

Next, tried the little yellow computer that came with each wheel. Started by replacing the battery in each as they were dead.
Go to the 'learn' thing, spin the wheel, neither can detect the hub. WTF?

I did call Saris, and they said I could send the wheels in. That is great, but I'm in Canada, and pretty sure they aren't offering to cover the $100 it will cost to ship them (yup, UPS or Purolator ground, $100 give or take....). Not sure about shipping back to me..

How can two brand new out of the box wheels not work? Wondering if the updater, even though it flashed green for success, actually screwed both hubs up?

Anyone else go through this?!?
Help!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I would recheck the full battery specification (not just the size). Older 2.4s had a slightly unusual battery spec.

Sorry if this has been done already, but worth a try. I had various 2.4s that were sensitive to battery.

Good news is that the newer model seems better in most regards, and that PT will respond if you push and push.

euan

by euan

Try the update again.

addicted

by addicted

euan wrote:Try the update again.

The ANT updater? It only has two updates, used one for each wheel. Did try plugging it into one of the wheels again anyway, but it just flashed red since it had already been used.

euan

by euan

Ah thought you had two updaters. Was banking you'd hadn't done two updates with one

Rick

by Rick

Try reseating the battery holder. Make sure you can feel that it is properly aligned, then wiggle it into place and push it home solidly.
Make sure the wire loop on the holder is sticking straight out. It is an antenna.
Might as well put in a fresh pair of batteries once you open it up again, just to remove that as a variable.

Mine are SL+, so I never had to do the "updater".

addicted

by addicted

Rick wrote:Try reseating the battery holder. Make sure you can feel that it is properly aligned, then wiggle it into place and push it home solidly.
Make sure the wire loop on the holder is sticking straight out. It is an antenna.
Might as well put in a fresh pair of batteries once you open it up again, just to remove that as a variable.

Mine are SL+, so I never had to do the "updater".

Thanks, will try it again tonight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com