America Classic carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Hello,

can anyone confirm the claimed weight of the american classic carbon wheelset tubular (38mm - Mid V) at 1025 grams (?? spokes) and 1120 grams (18/24 spokes)?

Any thoughts about this wheelset?

Lord Vader

by Lord Vader

Those AC carbon rims are actually Zipp Rims, so this wheelset has Zipp 280 rims. The Zipp 303's have about 1150gr. I think the claimed weight is the real weight of this wheelset

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I'm looking to buy the AC 50mm deep rims, which I may later build up with better hubs and spokes.

The rims of both models are rebadged Zipp rims.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

My first set was with the normal zipp 280 rim, and came in at 1045 with DT spokes. But thanks to Tufo tape, they lasted 1500-ish miles until the tires were shot, and the carbon ripped off the rim bed when I removed the tires.

My Second set was also the normal zipp 280, with the upgraded rear hubs, DT spokes and were 1060. The rear wheel cracked on the side, without any apparent impact. the front wheel had a dishing problem.

My Third set, they told me they were now building all of them with PAVE versions of the 280 rims. These came in at 1165, 1140 without decals. They also look light years better/stronger in terms of the quality of the carbon, and the thickness of the rim bed you can see through the spoke drillings... though I have not ridden them yet.

One thing is for sure, AmClassic's warranty service has been real good, and they turned them over quickly.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

dang... hit the button twice... sometimes the site freezes up on me.

kAb

by kAb

Mine weighed in at 1006g w/o decals. 18/24 Sapim spokes.

Erez_Pinarello

by Erez_Pinarello

1030 grams sapim no decal for 38 mm 16-24

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sambo76

by sambo76

Rich_W wrote: But thanks to Tufo tape, they lasted 1500-ish miles until the tires were shot, and the carbon ripped off the rim bed when I removed the tires.

Thats not a tufo tape issue that is just a zipp issue, my front 808 needed a new rim after first tyre change due to same reason and I was using conti glue and a zipp tubular.

Have heard of this problem quite a bit lately. Zipp say it was a contamination problem from there carbon supplier, but I am now starting to wonder :roll: as it is proving to be quite common and not specific to any year eg 2004 or 05 etc