AICAN Bungarus Cable - Install Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Hi there, just received the AICAN brake and FR/DR cables purchased from Fairwheel Bikes today, and have started the install. Instructions that came with the kit are cryptic at best but was able to figure things out except for the black plastic liner piece (brake kit came with one approx 36" long piece; FR/DR kit came with two of the same length).

Instructions don't indicate where to put these so I'm assuming you would just slip them over the inner cable that is exposed, i.e., along the top tube for the rear brake cable, and along the down tube for FR/DR cables.

Could someone confirm please? Many thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Horacio

by Horacio

When I came across this during my install, I called Fairwheel and spoke to Tony. He said the tube is to guide the cable and once the cable is installed, just pull it out.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Horacio wrote:When I came across this during my install, I called Fairwheel and spoke to Tony. He said the tube is to guide the cable and once the cable is installed, just pull it out.

Cool -- thanks!

drchull

by drchull

My reading of the instructions that the black tubing attached to the ferule was for external cables so that you could essentially run a sealed system. The ferule goes in the front cable stop and the liner runs to the back cable stop where you start the full housing again.
I could be completely wrong and I didn't use it as I have an internally cabled bike and it didn't actually fit inside the bungarus cables. I suppose you could pull the segmented liner and use it as a full liner it would be almost exactly like the other segmented kits then.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

drchull wrote:My reading of the instructions that the black tubing attached to the ferule was for external cables so that you could essentially run a sealed system. The ferule goes in the front cable stop and the liner runs to the back cable stop where you start the full housing again.
I could be completely wrong and I didn't use it as I have an internally cabled bike and it didn't actually fit inside the bungarus cables. I suppose you could pull the segmented liner and use it as a full liner it would be almost exactly like the other segmented kits then.

Hmmm...that's interesting. The set of instructions I received made no mention of the black tubing at all. That's what I suspected it was for but decided not to use it.

Does anyone know if there are any adverse effects of leaving the Aican DLC cables exposed tot he elements?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

There should be likely less, and certainly no more than leaving normal bare steel cables exposed. The DLC should act the same as any coating, teflon or whatever, an protect the steel from oxidisation.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

NiFTY wrote:There should be likely less, and certainly no more than leaving normal bare steel cables exposed. The DLC should act the same as any coating, teflon or whatever, an protect the steel from oxidisation.

Thanks -- that's what I thought. Wonder why Aican even bothered with the black plastic.

newnan3

by newnan3

If I have external routing that goes from the front cable stops to the plastic cable guides at the bottom bracket I wouldnt have a need for this plastic tubing correct?

Or should the plastic tubing be run from the front cable stops down to the point where the cables enter the cable guides at the bottom bracket?

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

newnan3 wrote:If I have external routing that goes from the front cable stops to the plastic cable guides at the bottom bracket I wouldnt have a need for this plastic tubing correct?

Or should the plastic tubing be run from the front cable stops down to the point where the cables enter the cable guides at the bottom bracket?

I ended up using the black plastic on sections where the cables are exposed to create a "sealed" system.

mgrennie

by mgrennie

Horacio wrote:When I came across this during my install, I called Fairwheel and spoke to Tony. He said the tube is to guide the cable and once the cable is installed, just pull it out.

Wish I had known that before I dropped my set, and had to piece it back together link by link! :oops:

MNX1024

by MNX1024

So those black hose piece thingy is just a housing guide? Doesn't really serve any purposes?

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

audiophilitis wrote:I ended up using the black plastic on sections where the cables are exposed to create a "sealed" system.

Agree with audiophilitis and the instructions say that as well. So you'd use it between the cable stop & the front der, the cable stop & the rear der cable stop and between the rear brake cable stops if external.

Not sure how "sealed" it would be but it'd be better than nothing if you ride regularly in bad weather.

newnan3

by newnan3

I guess I'm trying to picture how I would use the tubing where the cable go thru the guide at the bottom bracket. My cables are exposed at this point so i really don't need it but it'd be a nice option I guess

Are u guys still liking the Aican system?

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

The liner would go through the BB guide.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

newnan3

by newnan3

5 8 5 wrote:The liner would go through the BB guide.

Oh i didnt realize the sections were that long.....Thanks!