Ritchey WCS Carbon Cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Anyone know anything about these? Any good? Light? I know that they're from 2007 and are discontinued. I found them for a good price and I'm considering them.

Also, they work with a Shimano BB-5500 bottom bracket, is there an adapter that would allow me to install them on a BB30 frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boolinwall

by boolinwall

WCS carbon cranks? I was not aware they ever made a carbon version. Cool!

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I just looked it up. So they did. Looks a lot like a pretty generic crank from a few manufacturers.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I don't know anything about the crank, but the DA 7700 bottom bracket is the one you want.
formerly rruff...

eric

by eric

The Ritchey cranks came in Octalink and Isis versions. The 7700 BB was the best Octalink BB but required frequent maintenance due to not having sealed bearings. OTOH is is rebuildable and adjustable. People who are not willing to rebuild their BB every 10k miles do better with the sealed Ultegra model.

Octalink is still available in 105 and a track BB, which is probably the one to get.

You can get an adapter that presses into the BB30 frame and takes a BSA BB.
The Ritchey cranks were ok but nothing special. They and the BB are old tech compared to BB30 and modern cranks. The BB is heavy and the cranks are not that light for cranks with no spindle.

I'd find a Force BB30 crank on sale instead.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I've had very good luck with the 7700 BB... much better and lighter than Ultegra. I take it apart and regrease it once per year (~7k miles). Just had my first failure on one that had seen ~40k miles... the rubber seal had broken, water had entered and the bearings on one side rusted.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

As long as you service it, it (was) a great part. But many people don't do that or, being used to sealed bearings, just did not know they needed to.