Strong Light crank questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1spd

by 1spd

Anyone out there with a Strong Light Pulsion crank? I picked one up a week or so ago and am having issues with it creaking. I am running a Token Ti bb w/ it in a steel Bianchi frame. I have lubed threads and tightened down all the bolts. Headed out for a ride again and within less than a mile, it was creaking again. I don't do well with creaking so I have slapped my Chorus UT back on the bike. I'm pretty much done with this thing at this point. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm 5'9" and weigh 180 lbs (not fat tho, just muscle...I was a gym rat for years). Is there a weight limit on this crank?
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

You sure its not the BB? When I used the Token ISIS BB it creaked unless installed TIGHT. I also found that it was not very durable. Taking it apart the bearings are very small and located well inboard. When I was using ISIS the FSA Platinum Pro BB was more durable. It's got double row bearings located close to the ends of the BB. It also did not need to be tightened quite so hard to prevent noises.

TimmS

by TimmS

Strong Light Pulsion cranks are well known for their tend to break.

Multiple topics on this :search:
viewtopic.php?t=19509&highlight=pulsion

kode54

by kode54

TimmS wrote:Strong Light Pulsion cranks are well known for their tend to break.

Multiple topics on this :search:
viewtopic.php?t=19509&highlight=pulsion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes. a friend has his fail and he's only 152 lbs.

separation of the pedal bolt from the crank arm. i have a pulsion that i took off with low mileage. i put it on a bike that i don't use much...and so far, haven't had any issues.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

dj97223

by dj97223

I had one for several years. No problems, no creaks. Note that the instructions have torque settings for the chainring bolts. If they are torque'd correctly, I'm guessing the creaking is from your BB (you get no creaking with your other crank, right?).
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

1spd

by 1spd

Hey guys, sorry for the delay but the firewall at work wouldn't let me log in earlier.

In any case, I had things torqued down and still got the creaking. You are correct, no creaking with the Chorus set up.

That being said, I put the crank back up on ebay this morning. I then spent about an hour looking for some new rings for the Chorus crank. I called Fair Wheel last night and they didn't have anything in stock but mentioned that Strong Light made some that fit. So I started searching for them. I ended up finding a 50 and a 36 and ordered them. Coming from England! They should weigh a little less than the stock ones which is a plus but they should also be black! I didn't have any problems with shifting on the SL crank so I feel confident that I will be fine with the set up when they arrive.

At this point, I just hope I can get my money back out of the SL crank. Got about 4 watchers right now so I'm sure it will sell. Honestly, everything was tight on the bike and I'm thinking that a different bb will make a world of difference. I just don't want to put any more money into it and aside from the weight of the Chorus crank (now that the gearing will be changed), I think I'll be fine.

1spd

by 1spd

Ok, so the other day I dropped the crank off at my buddies shop to let him take a look at it all. It took a little while but I heard back from him last night and he said that the crank and rings all look great. He said he couldn't see anything wrong with any of those. He mentioned that the bb felt fairly smooth when turning it by hand but he said that when he slapped it in a frame (I totally didn't expect him to do that) he said that it felt a little ratchety. His recommendation was to get another bb. That being said, i updated my listing on ebay with the information he provided. Even though the original seller got me by selling me a bb that creaks I'm not one to pass that along to someone else knowingly. Hopefully whoever buys it understands what they are getting and realize that they still got a nice crank.

1spd

by 1spd

So the crank sold. Got less than I wanted but at least the new owner will know what they are getting! ON the flip side, I had ordered some Strong Light chain rings to fit my Chorus crank from France. They showed up today! Can't believe they showed up that fast!

Stock Campy ring weighed 100g new ring weighed in at 90g (both were 50t) so that was good.
Stock Campy ring (34t) weighed 38g. New SL (36t) weighs 41g. Not cool!

But regardless, I managed to shave a couple grams and better yet, got the gear I wanted. Tomorrow will be a test ride at lunch but a quick spin around the block and all felt fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com