HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:07 pm 

Riders, I have the official word on this... I recently emailed 3T regarding my Ionic-0 mated to my Selle Italia Flite gel. below is the response from 3T below my question. Long story short your rails have to be 7x10 not any other variations 8.5, 9, etc to use the Oval end caps. I think that the labeling should state this explicitly and we as purchasers should not have to interpret the cryptic PDF illustration which reads like a range of oval rails sizes and not an exact size...:

-------------------------------------------------------------

to info

The Great:

I have been the proud owner of a 3T Ionic - 0 Stealth Team seatpost as well as a few other well placed 3T products for a about a year now.

Originally I had my 3T Ionic - 0 Stealth Team seatpost mated to a round rail Fiziz Arione R3 Team Sky edition saddle with no issues what so ever.

Recently I've decided to do some endurance rides and settled on adding a Selle Italia Flite Gel saddle to the line up. The Selle Italia does have Titanium ovalized rails, so to complement it, I tracked down a set of hard to find 3T oval rail end caps.

The Not so Great:

After mounting the Selle Italia for the first time I did a metric century. About 3/4 the way thru, I was geting some groin numbness. After getting the Bike back home and cleaned up for the next ride, I did my usual post ride inspection. I noticed that the saddle had slid back and had become nose up, which explains the numbness. It appears, and I guess I did notice/put the pairing to enough rigors riding on the trainer all week in preparation, that the New oval end caps are not 100% securely clamping the rails. I originally torqued to the speced 5nM. After inspecting and now noting the lack of clamping power, the saddle does, if I hold it firmly and wiggle it have fore/aft play.

The Selle Italia rail dimensions are Ovalized 7X8, which by the 3T specs are withing range of the max 7X10.

At this point, since I have another ride this upcomming weekend I wrapped the rails with electrical tape in hopes of providing a little more gripping surface or at the least some non-slip due to the tape.

Have I missed something in the equations of this pairing(3T Ionic - 0 Stealth Team seatpost mated to a Selle Italia Flite Gel saddle)being compatable?

Thank you for your response in advance,
Anthony

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply Forward
info@3tcycling.com
May 9 (4 days ago)

to me

Hi Anthony,

unfortunately there is a misunderstanding. It is not a range – 7x10 mm max. It needs to be this measure otherwise the saddle can slip.

Best regards
Wolfgang

Service Support – Junior Product Manager
info@3Tcycling.com

3T Cycling srl - Via Vittorio Veneto, 25 - 24041 Brembate - Italy
Tel.: +39 035 4943451 - Fax.: +39 035 4943962

This email is for the use of the recipient only and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
This email may only be lawfully received, printed, copied and/or used by the specific addressee(s) named above for
the purpose for which it was sent by 3T. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not read, print,
store or use this email for any reason; you are requested to delete it and notify the sender immediately.

Last edited by idgitman on Tue May 13, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:23 pm 

No doubt what the write on the site is confusing. Just saw that Selle Italia now have carbon rails with the same dimensions as the TI rails so there are some nice options that will not require change of end cap to the oval version.

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:23 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4