Tufo Elite Ride 23 Tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

109er

by 109er

I conducted a search and got close to nil as far as a good review or anything. I have a set of these tires and I just want to know how they ride before I mount em up....if they're crap i'm selling them. My main concern is cornering.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

If they are anything like the other Tufo stuff, get rid of them. Their rolling resistance will be seriously poor

crashracer

by crashracer

It difficult to find somthing nice to say about them- but I've found they are good for high mileage since the tread is thick, they mount straight, and they hold air for weeks. However, they ride like garden hose and corner like they are made of plastic. How a tire that weighs pretty light can ride so heavy seriously defy the laws of physics. After riding these a while, even Sprinters or the 20$ Vittoria Rally tires feel and handle awesome. That said, I use them, honestly, for commuting since all my wheels are tubular and I got them for free. The set on my bike have lasted well over 3000 miles and I've been able to seal all the flats with Stans. So I'd buy another set if you want to sell them.

Alan

rustychain

by rustychain

I'll say something nice, they make great spare tires.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

voodoojar

by voodoojar

You cant patch them and they ride like crap.

tomikasa

by tomikasa

I agree with rustychain. I use used tufo tubulars as spares (especially the very light and narrower tires) because you can roll them in a very small package.
If you read the tests about rolling resistance, you can't give them god points though...

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

rustychain wrote:I'll say something nice, they make great spare tires.

That's pure masochism.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

peruffo

by peruffo

They do fold the smallest for their width.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

How so?

Ciao, ;)

rustychain

by rustychain

Not only do they fold up small but hold up well folded. I've been using the same tire for years. I only use it to finish my ride and always put a good tire back on when I get home. While I agree with just about every bad thing ever said about these tires they make great spares. Really
Only bad thing is I have to keep it in a sock so my friends don't know

LionelB

by LionelB

rustychain wrote:Not only do they fold up small but hold up well folded. I've been using the same tire for years. I only use it to finish my ride and always put a good tire back on when I get home. While I agree with just about every bad thing ever said about these tires they make great spares. Really
Only bad thing is I have to keep it in a sock so my friends don't know

You are using the 160g one as a spare?

Spinlikemad

by Spinlikemad

They are the most flat resistant and cut resistant tubular that I have come across in 32 years of training and racing. I highly recommend them for rides or races where you encounter some really rough (especially sharp gravel) conditions. That being said I agree with the other posters that they ride relatively "heavy" and harsh.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Is that supposed to be meant in a funny way somehow?

I don't think those tubs are in anyway more puncture resistant than the worst tubulars I know off and they ride like a bad piece of cardboard.

Yeah, they fold up nicely and they're light too but what's the point?
Isn't the very purpose of carrying a spare being able to return to base without further flats? Which can happen anyhow at any given moment with any given tyre, but that doesn't mean you have to pick to worst of the worst. Does it?

Ciao, ;)

fa63

by fa63

fdegrove- I am just curious, have you actually ridden these Tufo Elite Ride tubulars?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rustychain

by rustychain

They have always got me home without issue. Thinking back they even survived a short section of gravel one time.