Custom Bar/Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@dcktr, BmanX, KB
Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have more photos, but the bar that was used for this combo is a Zipp SL. Otherwise any other bar could be used (the same goes for the stem, but it has to be carbon).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Jure - were you reading my mind? Seriously I was just going to ask if you could bond an aluminium stem to a carbon bar like Ruegamer used to do.

I have an older 26.0 carbon Easton bar that I would like to have bonded and will have to PM you about it soon.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

:)
Well I rather avoid bonding ALU/carbon because well known reasons (different material properties), could of course bond also an ALU stem. Otherwise, if bonding with ALU, the Ritchey C260 stems with their clamping system would be perfect, no need for that much extra carbon reinforcements and it's also not an expensive stem...otherwise also the complete stem can be covered with the same cosmetic layer,..

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Aluminum and carbon fiber don't play nice together. Google galvanic corrosion.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

DMF

by DMF

Zipp Vuka Sprint with Zipp SL145 by Experimental Prototype in Sweden, there is an integrated computer mount hidden under the bar/stem. The stem and bar interface is wrapped together in a string-like carbon and finished off in multiple layers of Textreme, the hidden mount is all titanium beneath the carbon cloth. All finished in ten layers of a high gloss clear coat.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Looks pretty nice. Is the final weight less than the same stem/bar combo with normal faceplate and bolt application?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

In this case with ZIPP products, I dout it weighs less, stiffer yes which was the target.
As mentioned before I´ve done a 217 gram combo which held up fine for EN testing protocol once.
Experimental Prototype

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

The textreme layer is visible here.
Experimental Prototype

DMF

by DMF

Yes, as Mattias Hellöre said, focus was on stiffness and it would in my view be a bit unfair to do a direct weight comparison as there is a also a long titanium plate baked in there for a soon-to-come Garmin in-front mount which adds some weight.

This project was done for aesthetics, stiffness and perhaps having fewer parts on the bike. I like integration where it is practical.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Excellent work Mattias!!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.