Reynolds DV46 v. Reynolds Forty-Six

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

I've been riding Reynolds Thirty Two and am looking to go to something deeper. Can anyone give me the low-down on what changed between the DV46T and the Forty-Six? Based on my very scientific google searches, it seems they transitioned to the new ctg brake track and added the "swirl lip" to the trailing edge. Did the hubs also change (they now use DT240)? Any other differences I should be aware of?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

the DV46T and the newer 46's are basically the same wheel (same hubs - DT240's), with the addition of the braking surface and SLG's. At a lower price point are the Assaults, which should be the same shape as the 46's, minus the SLG, DT Revolution spokes (vs. DT Aero-lite on the 46's) and a lower-quality hub (probably a different carbon layup as well, but don't quote me on that).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

...these two wheels are quite different, indeed. The different resins used to improve the braking surface, alone, are enough to classify the wheel as VERY different, especially if you are taking about clinchers. Recall that several other carbon clincher manufacturers (Enve, Easton and I think Zipp too )changed up their clincher design for model year 2011 (with a specific focus on braking surface) resulting in an increase in rim weights across all manufacturers. In addition to the braking surface and swirl lip on the Reynolds they also went to full Aerolite spokes on rear wheel.

The changes in the wheel design and the many documented issues of heat build up and wheel failure on pre-2011 rims (i.e. DV46) is sufficient reason to steer clear of the older rims.

EM3

Here is a link to a previous discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82499&hilit=+reynolds