Help remove broken FSA Goasammer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

Hi,

So I bought a second hand bike for a winter project, and thought "Hey, great deal - It comes with a crankset!". Boy, was I wrong.

It turns out that the reason why the previous owner left on the crank, was probably because he was unable to get it off. The screwhead on the Shimano-Known-As dust cover is completely ruined.

I've tried knocking in a 6 mm, in hopes to get it off, but without much luck - Now I'm really looking for a good advice on how the F*** to remove this crankset. I don't mind damaging the crankset, as long as the frame is undamaged.

Ideas much apriciated!
My bikes incl. De Rosa Superking and Cervelo R3
Twitter & Instagram - @mathiasbregnhoj

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Drill the screw out would be my plan. Maybe one of those stripped screw removal tools might work as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aftereffector

by aftereffector

Penetrating oil, heat/cold cycles, and a screw extractor. Good luck!

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

A photo would be useful to see the problem!

Miller

by Miller

I had to remove a stronglight crankset the hard way once when the so-called single key release turned out to be wildly unfit for purpose and anything but. That was an old-style three piece crankset. The method is to hacksaw a slot onto the metal of the crank where it attaches to the spindle. When the slot is big enough to get a chisel in, use that to try and prise the slot open and crack the metal. The intent is to loosen the grip of the crank on the spindle such that you can get the crank off. The crank is destroyed, of course... but by that point you're feeling vengeful about it anyway. Take care not to damage yourself or the bike in all this.

Smallring

by Smallring

I had the same problem, I ended up sawing both sides of the left crankarms next to the cap. Once you get the top piece on each side of the crank to come off, you should be able to remove the left crankarm. Then destroy the cap until you can slide it through the BB to get the right side out. Will try to provide you pics later.

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

Smallring wrote:I had the same problem, I ended up sawing both sides of the left crankarms next to the cap. Once you get the top piece on each side of the crank to come off, you should be able to remove the left crankarm. Then destroy the cap until you can slide it through the BB to get the right side out. Will try to provide you pics later.

Sounds really great! Would be appriciated.

If I ever get a FSA Crankset, i'll defintly find another dust-cover. It's shit quality.

Smallring

by Smallring

Don't know if I can post attachment here. Maybe provide your email address, I will email you the pics.

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

You might try going to Photobucket or simillar.

You just need to press the e-mail button, and my e-mail will appear!

bricky21

by bricky21

Bregnhoj wrote:You just need to press the e-mail button, and my e-mail will appear!

That's exactly what the spammers do BTW.

Smallring

by Smallring

theremery

by theremery

Hammer in a stardrive that is the next size up from the allenkey, then remove normally.......wow they were some exhausting methods, otherwise! (though all workable, I'm sure).....don't forget the penetrating oil etc....thats just sensible ;) Worst possible outcome is that the head breaks off at which point it's job done, anyway.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

theremery wrote:Hammer in a stardrive that is the next size up from the allenkey, then remove normally.......wow they were some exhausting methods, otherwise! (though all workable, I'm sure).....don't forget the penetrating oil etc....thats just sensible ;) Worst possible outcome is that the head breaks off at which point it's job done, anyway.

I have tried to do so without luck.

timzcat

by timzcat

If the bolt is aluminum then it will not come out. I had the same thing on a Rotor 3D. I have never seen anything seize that bad even when I was an auto technician in my younger years.

I honestly would try the air duster trick to freeze the center bolt to see if it helps at all. On the rotor, even once I drilled out the entire center of the bolt the remaining aluminum didn't want to come free.

Then again since you don't care about the crank just take to that center bolt with a large drill bit around 3/8 or 1/2" to drill off the head, leaving the center in the spindle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

I went ahead and took Smallring's advice and simply sawed the crank off.

I now keep this photo with my components. I think it'll scare any component and keep them from messing with me in the future...