Shimano rear chainstay brake query

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Hi All
Just bought Roval CL50 wheels for my rim brake Scott Foil. The bike runs DA R9100 but I cheaped out when I built it :oops: , using an old 6800 series chainstay rear brake I had lying around.

I'm having an issue with the rim clearance as the caliper only opens so far - it actually fouls against its own arms when opened out fully. I have the brake working, by removing the conical spacer washers to the outside of the brake shoe bolt, but is not ideal as I'd like a touch more clearance. I know some have sanded down their brake shoes but I don't really want to go down that route, unless I have to. I'd rather buy a suitable brake.

The newer chainstay brakes (R8000 and R9100 series) claim to have more clearance for 28c tyres and suitable for rim widths of 20 - 28mm. The CL50's have a rim width of 29.4mm. Anyone running CL50's (or similarly wide rims) with the newer gen Shimano chain stay caliper? I don't want to go and buy one, only to have the same issue.

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritxis

by Ritxis

BianchiDave wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:01 am
Hi All
Just bought Roval CL50 wheels for my rim brake Scott Foil. The bike runs DA R9100 but I cheaped out when I built it :oops: , using an old 6800 series chainstay rear brake I had lying around.

I'm having an issue with the rim clearance as the caliper only opens so far - it actually fouls against its own arms when opened out fully. I have the brake working, by removing the conical spacer washers to the outside of the brake shoe bolt, but is not ideal as I'd like a touch more clearance. I know some have sanded down their brake shoes but I don't really want to go down that route, unless I have to. I'd rather buy a suitable brake.

The newer chainstay brakes (R8000 and R9100 series) claim to have more clearance for 28c tyres and suitable for rim widths of 20 - 28mm. The CL50's have a rim width of 29.4mm. Anyone running CL50's (or similarly wide rims) with the newer gen Shimano chain stay caliper? I don't want to go and buy one, only to have the same issue.

Cheers
look at the Swissstop Full Flash Pro, they are somewhat thinner

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Ritxis wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:39 am
look at the Swissstop Full Flash Pro, they are somewhat thinner
I thought it was the Flash EVO that was 0.75mm thinner. The FlashPro and Full FlashPro are standard width IIRC.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

It was Swiss Stop Black Prince which came with the wheels. Roval state that these or Roval Red must be used or it could invalidate any warranty claim. Not sure how they'd know, probably pad residue, but wouldn't want to take the risk.

I took a punt on a DA R9110R rear brake the other day. All fitted up and there is definitely more clearance, although I've moved the conical washer to the outside of the pad holder bracket on the drive side only, just to give a bit more. Once the pads wear a bit I'll put it back to normal.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

Get rid of the fat heavy wheels.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

The Flash Evo is a Black Prince pad, see link below:

https://www.swissstop.ch/brakepads/rimb ... ackprince/

It'll provide 1.5mm of additional clearance for your wheel.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Nickldn wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Ah, good to know, thanks!

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Nickldn wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Face palm moment for me, they are the pads which came with the wheels!

Nickldn

by Nickldn

BianchiDave wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:29 pm

Face palm moment for me, they are the pads which came with the wheels!
Let me know how it goes, I have a similar (but not as severe) issue with my brakes using normal thickness pads. When the pads were new they only contacted the rim with about half of their height. Braking was a challenge.

Now the pads have worn in a bit the contact patch is normal and braking is much less dramatic.

I'd rather avoid a repeat when I need to change pads, so are keeping an eye on these Flash Evo pads.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com