HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:26 pm 

Hi guys!

I don't post on much on these boards but here's one for you...

Over the last few years I've been trying out different helmets. I can't seem to find a helmet I'm comfortable with.
The circumference of my head is 59cm which with most helmets is where Large starts. Of course safety is most important but what is the point of getting a cool helmet if it looks unproportionate and feels uncomfortable.
I've looked at the Lazer Helium helmets where large is 57-60cm. Is there any other manufacturers that either have a large medium size or a small large size?

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:26 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:23 pm 

I recently purchased the Giro Atmos II in medium, and I feel that it is quite a large medium. If I could do it over, I would purchase the small. If you can try one out, I think it would be worth giving it a go in a store.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:44 pm 

I'm a similar size to you,

I tried on a load of helmets recently after i took a tumble and trashed my old Bell ( which was never a good fit.... ) hands down the best fitting helmet I found was the Louis Garneu Quartz,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:02 pm 

Kask Protone has 48-58 cm and 59-62 cm. Give it a try. You could even try the smaller size. I have a 58 cm head (if I remember correctly) and it works for me. Only issue could be the non adjustable strap triangle that goes over your ears. That may be too tight depending on your ear size. The larger size will definitely fit you.

The Kask Protone also gives off less of a mushroom head vibe than many others. Especially when worn with glasses. So maybe even the larger size will work well for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:35 am 

I'm a 59.7 cm circumference. I wore a size large Giro Aeon for years. It was very comfortable but looked huge on me. I got tired of hating my look in every picture so I started searching for a new one. I tried on all of the big names. I finally found the Kask Mojito. It truly has a more narrow width and it actually looks like a normal helmet and not a giant mushroom top. None of the stores had a Kask Protone yet, but I was glad to find the Mojito which looks great and is cheaper and lighter. BTW none of the mediums would fit my melon. I have an oval shaped head.

Last edited by trex021 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:47 am 

I noticed that each brand, though defining the sizing, will be different... My noggin is a 59, fits a Windmax in S but ZERO adjustability as its a JUST FIT while the same brand but different model, the Airstorm has a bit deeper of a fit and more adjustability... My Protone, has plenty of room for adjustability but probably would not fit a hat.. My Cratoni Terron fits larger, can easily wear a cap...but it does look bigger and wider despite a 56-59.. I have also owned a Atmos as well where the fit was also similar to that of the Cratoni.

Its going to be a hit or miss if you're ordering online w/o being able to try the helmets on beforehand.. One would think that having to try on a helmet w/in a brand and tranferring that thought to another helmet w/in the same brand would work... it doesn't..

There is no other way of guarding oneself against flattery than by letting men understand that they will not offend you by speaking the truth; but when everyone can tell you the truth, you lose their respect.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:15 am 

+1 for Kask Mojito.

I'm 58.5, bang inbetween most sizes. The L Kask fits beautifully, and doesn't look massive on my head. Loads of colour options too and very well made.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:12 pm 

MD size (56-58) Catlike Whisper feels a bit wide for my 58cm head. It might fit you well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:55 pm 

OP,
I have the same size head and the "in between sizes" problems. I have found that the specialized prevail and evade in size medium fit perfectly. I tried Kask, but medium was a bit small and large too big.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:21 pm 

i have a large medium head but only due to a bumpy bit at the back. like my brains are trying to escape....presuming that i have brains. great post though as i have wondered about this very thing a few times! i tried on a mojito in large and it was a great fit. will read through all this post and see what others felt about different lids.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:42 pm 

Kask Mojito for me too. Hoping the Protone will have the same fit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:39 pm 

I have a large head also. Try a Lazer o2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:00 pm 

Specialized MD goes to 60cm. I have an Evade and it fits great and I struggle with most medium size helmets.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:00 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:43 pm 

Kask Mojito vote here as well.

Custom ti 650B Kingdom Double9 (with tubs)
Kinesis Aithein
Ventana El Conquistador