HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:03 am 

Just tested EPS out on a couple extended rides. Generally liked it, but...

I often "dump" the front and rear at the same time. ie - on a flat, get to the base of a climb, go from big to small ring up front while simultaneously shifting 3 cogs higher in the rear. I do this to keep roughly the same gear ratio but to be able to start backing off the gearing as the climb increases. I do the opposite as I crest a climb.

On the EPS, if I hit both levers at the same time it seems I can get the front mech to shift and the rear mech to move *two* cogs - but I seem to need to let the system "free up" to get that third cog in the back. Usually means waiting a second or two and then shifting again in the rear.

Anyone noticed this / found a work around? Might just be a peculiarity of my shifting pattern...

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:03 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:21 pm 
Shop Owner

One of the worst features of the EPS vs the mechanical version. You have to time your shift sequence because I noticed that it will not shift both derailleurs at the same time. It depends on which shifter you press first on which derailleur shifts first. You just need to hold the rear shifter down longer to get that gear your looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:19 pm 

I still contend that I can shift faster and more accurately with a finely tuned mechanical system than I can with an electric system. I can "throw things around" faster, whether it's in increments of 1 cog, 2 cogs, 3 cogs, etc. Or simultaneously shifting front and rear. And I know exactly where it's going to land. I feel more in control and "one" with a mechanical system. No "hold and wait". No after shift "psssst" sound. Just bang!... And I'm there. Sorry, no help to the OP but I'm curious to see what the solution is for his concerns, as it is a valid one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:20 am 
Shop Owner

I agree, but as a former owner of the SR11 mechanical version, the amount of effort is so much less. There is no question it will be the right shift. There will be no lag if the cable is dragging because your in the rain. There is so much less maintenance and fine adjustments that the EPS has, it is worth loosing that slight speed in shifting.

It's just as fast as when you first start the ride and at the end of a long hammer fest. I could not say that with the mechanical version. I was just so beat I could barely shift at all.