Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

jaconle33 wrote:Thanks SuperDave for the reply.

So If i use my current EPS setup with the new AR1 frameset, I use campy pads right now for my Zipp wheels, is the rear brake compatable with Campy pads then? Also, will the shop need to order anything else specifically for the EPS setup? Thanks

You'll need to use Zipp's pads in the TRP T750 rear brake.
I would recommend the extra cable that connects the Power Unit to the handlebar wire juction. It just makes set up easier. The extra wire length can be stuffed in the frame.
Install the fork LAST. You'll want to get inside the head tube a few times when routing the shift and brake wires through the top tube. It is infinitely easier without the fork installed.
Use torque paste on the seatpost, every surface, especially the inner clamping plates that compress the post against the frame.

Measure twice, cut once.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

rudivollersmullet wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
mitchgixer6 wrote:I think so. :-) Thanks for the info once again.
Surprised to hear that you might be changing it already for 2015 though.

Same frame shape but we've got to keep the arts & crafts dept busy.

-SD

Am I unlikely to get an AR1 in the Uk anytime soon then? Is it possible to import one direct from US? I'm looking to replace my bike which was stolen and am getting by on my winter bike at the moment. Really like the look of the new AR1 but can't wait until the 2015 range so will have to go with my back up choice of a Cervelo S5 otherwise. Is there any chance of getting one sooner?
Cheers

Well I'm not sure. There have been many AR1 frames sold to the UK already. I would think that some of them were placed on dealers' orders for sale. Surely not every frame has been earmarked for a consumer. At this point every frame ordered by the distributor appears to have been ordered by a dealer. I don't know the quantity but just for round numbers, if 1000 ARs have been ordered to be made for the UK market, dealers have already ordered 1000 of them. With this situation if you walked into a dealer today that didn't have one on order already they would call the distributor to ask about your size and model. The distributor would simply say, "sorry, they are sold out" but that's at the wholesale level, not retail.

Make sense?

-SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

rudivollersmullet wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
mitchgixer6 wrote:I think so. :-) Thanks for the info once again.
Surprised to hear that you might be changing it already for 2015 though.

Same frame shape but we've got to keep the arts & crafts dept busy.

-SD

Am I unlikely to get an AR1 in the Uk anytime soon then? Is it possible to import one direct from US? I'm looking to replace my bike which was stolen and am getting by on my winter bike at the moment. Really like the look of the new AR1 but can't wait until the 2015 range so will have to go with my back up choice of a Cervelo S5 otherwise. Is there any chance of getting one sooner?
Cheers

What size would you be looking for?

MacRoadie

by MacRoadie

Twinning wrote:Sorry if I missed this from the previous posts but why is everyone going after the tektro brake and not just using the dura ace/ ultegra direct mount brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the Shimano rear brake calipers rub on the inside of a Campy left crank arm.

MacRoadie

by MacRoadie

Completed bike, with ENVE 1.45's.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

That looks awesome man.
The Enves and that matte paint job are made for eachother.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

53x12 wrote:Cool design by Felt to hide the battery in the seat post.
Another article on the new AR.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/felt-2014-ar-aero-road-bike-first-look-38150/

A quick piece showing the parts and the assembly of the AR post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7lVWhFlXYA

-SD

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Good job Dave. Thanks for the pointers.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

(Another) quick question from me. I'm probably being daft and not picking it up properly from the user manual that's on the Felt website. For the shifter cables, should they cross at the headtube? I.e should the cable from the right hand (rear) shifter enter the downtube on the non-driveside? That's what looks like would make the most sense to me as the rear cable passes through the BB guide on the non-driveside. I'm thinking if it was the other way round then the cables would have to cross inside the frame?

On a side note I had word from my LBS that it'll be late March before I get my frame. Also looks like there are only 2 AR1 frames in 54 coming to the UK in the first shipment, one for me and the other going to another dealer. This was the latest from Felt Germany this week. Apparently there have been more frames allocated to the rest of Europe than had been expected. Obviously will be more coming but maybe later in the spring/early summer.

Porkinson

by Porkinson

I guess the other 54 must be for me then.

Dave - I ordered, and placed a large deposit on a AR1 framekit in the UK in mid Jan only after the dealer had called Saddleback and confirmed there was availability and that they where expecting them from Germany in about 10 days (they must have been in Germany at this time or at least very close to give such a short delivery estimate). A few days later they told me that there was now a delay till march with no explanation but speculation was they didn't want to cannibalise sales of the AR FRD and so would release them together, however this seems a little unethical and not a practice I would expect from Felt.

Obviously logistics delays can't be helped, but it seems unlikely to be entirely responsible for the lead time jumping from 10 days, surely any large delays would have been known about more than 10 days before, to over 2 months. It can't be that they wanted to send them together to reduce shipping as some models are reaching the UK and if you'd promised delivery so soon you should try and fulfill it even if it costs you a little more. Germany to the UK isn't far anyway. However given that demand seems to be much greater than the limited supply it doesn't really make sense as a business decision.

One of the main reasons I chose felt was this thread and in particular your interaction. Do you have any idea what is likely to be happening with regards the AR1 framekits reaching the UK?

Many thanks,

An Impatient buyer.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Porkinson wrote:I guess the other 54 must be for me then.

Dave - I ordered, and placed a large deposit on a AR1 framekit in the UK in mid Jan only after the dealer had called Saddleback and confirmed there was availability and that they where expecting them from Germany in about 10 days (they must have been in Germany at this time or at least very close to give such a short delivery estimate). A few days later they told me that there was now a delay till march with no explanation but speculation was they didn't want to cannibalise sales of the AR FRD and so would release them together, however this seems a little unethical and not a practice I would expect from Felt.

Obviously logistics delays can't be helped, but it seems unlikely to be entirely responsible for the lead time jumping from 10 days, surely any large delays would have been known about more than 10 days before, to over 2 months. It can't be that they wanted to send them together to reduce shipping as some models are reaching the UK and if you'd promised delivery so soon you should try and fulfill it even if it costs you a little more. Germany to the UK isn't far anyway. However given that demand seems to be much greater than the limited supply it doesn't really make sense as a business decision.

One of the main reasons I chose felt was this thread and in particular your interaction. Do you have any idea what is likely to be happening with regards the AR1 framekits reaching the UK?

Many thanks,

An Impatient buyer.

Dear An Impatient buyer,

I'm not aware of every transaction that transpires globally but I suspect your dealer was told that AR1s were indeed arriving but perhaps that information wasn't cross-checked with the number of arrivals vs. the number of AR1s already sold in Europe.

Germany is often the CoI and the products are then delivered from a central warehouse throughout Europe.

I can't imagine that anything sinister is going on.

Why do you think there aren't enough frames on this first production order to the UK and Europe? Often the most logical answer is the correct one.

I'm headed over to meet with my German colleagues next week and I can ask them about backorders and demand if you like. I know the global volume of AR1 framesets purchased and how Felt arrived at that number to order in 2014. If demand is up 150% then I would expect that supply couldn't possibly keep pace in the beginning of the calendar year.

-Dave

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

mitchgixer6 wrote:(Another) quick question from me. I'm probably being daft and not picking it up properly from the user manual that's on the Felt website. For the shifter cables, should they cross at the headtube? I.e should the cable from the right hand (rear) shifter enter the downtube on the non-driveside? That's what looks like would make the most sense to me as the rear cable passes through the BB guide on the non-driveside. I'm thinking if it was the other way round then the cables would have to cross inside the frame?

On a side note I had word from my LBS that it'll be late March before I get my frame. Also looks like there are only 2 AR1 frames in 54 coming to the UK in the first shipment, one for me and the other going to another dealer. This was the latest from Felt Germany this week. Apparently there have been more frames allocated to the rest of Europe than had been expected. Obviously will be more coming but maybe later in the spring/early summer.

Sounds like you are in the 2nd production batch of frames to arrive. Certainly there are more than two 54cm AR1s coming to the UK.
I do not cross the cables to reduce the friction at the cable stop. The rear derailleur cable passes through the BB on the drive side, not the NDS.

-SD

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Thanks four the help. Just trying to get a heads up on how I'm going to build the bike before I get the frame, hopefully this will limit the amount of time I spend trying to figure stuff out during the build. As I say it can be difficult doing this purely working from pictures.

In terms of the supply of the bikes, my dealer suggested that there are only 2 54's coming to the UK in the 'first drop'. I fully expect there to be more AR1's in this size coming to the UK, but possibly not until a few weeks after this first drop. I too was originally told mid January when I ordered my frame at the end of October. This I thought would work out perfectly for me as my traditional race season opener is today (16th) and I thought I would have the new bike in plenty of time for this. As it is I've had to borrow a friends race bike and the next race I had entered (a week today) I have had to withdraw from.

Turns out I'm still waiting, as is everyone else in Europe, and am doubtful if I'll have the frame for the next few races on my calendar. This is unfortunate, but there's not much we can do but sit and wait until the frames arrive. I dare say that once we have our bikes and are enjoying riding them this will all seem a distant memory!

Mize

by Mize

MacRoadie wrote:
Twinning wrote:Sorry if I missed this from the previous posts but why is everyone going after the tektro brake and not just using the dura ace/ ultegra direct mount brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the Shimano rear brake calipers rub on the inside of a Campy left crank arm.

Also it rubs the Stages power meter. Having neither of these, I'm running an Ultegra rear brake on my otherwise SRAM Red 22 bike.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gdherrera

by gdherrera

Gil
Oregon
2014 Felt AR1 11 speep di2
2013 Felt F65x trp hyrd