Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jman

by Jman

Cheers! wrote:This is the first time under the new regime. Previous 5 bike purchases were made before any wife and it was usually during a time of no significant other...

Just get the new bike in same color than the old one. ;)

And of course keep the total count of the bikes same in case if she goes and counts them....

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It looks nice!
I only have two questions:

1. Will the framesets (either the electronic version or the mechanical) be able to accommodate hydraulic shifting? Or is the owner obligated to buy a new frame when those systems soon come out?

2. Have the geometry tables been posted anywhere?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Is there a super hi res image of the AR FRD I can use as my desktop wallpaper?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Good point: both hydraulic braking and shifting.

There are two shifting systems in the pipeline for road. One of them is coming from Acros, the other is coming from a substantially larger company.

Funny, the "aren't many" could have been said for electronic a few years ago before Shimano released Di2... now look where we are. :mrgreen:

53x12

by 53x12

"the other is coming from a substantially larger company."

It is ok Prend you can say SRAM on here. I don't think that is any secret.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

BmanX

by BmanX

With their move into hydraulic braking it is only natural to move into full hydraulic systems.

EDIT: This could mean some very cool designs in bikes because you could move away from what we know as standard brake and shifter cables.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

53x12 wrote:SD, similar to the F1 vs FC, will the AR FRD have a carbon bb shell and the AR1 and others have an alloy one?

Yes. AR FRD uses a unique carbon shell whereas the AR1 uses the textbook CNC machined aluminum sleeve that requires C-clips to retain the bearing spacing.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

tranzformer wrote:Any idea what the weight is of the rear Felt brake with all the hardware and associated bits?

160g for the brake, 175g with all the mounting bits and guide pipe, add another 4g if you run an inline adjuster to compensate for rim width changes.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

MarkGiardini wrote:Hi Dave.
Is the rear brake a proprietary style job, or can anything be used?
With regards to the AR FRD v the AR1, I assume if you want to keep mechanical groupset then that rules out the FRD correct?
Mark

The rear brake uses the Shimano rear direct mount standard.
Shimano Dura-Ace 9010R, Ultegra 6810R, 105 5710R, TRP T750, TRP T740, and Bontrager's rear brake off the new Madone will fit. There are more coming including adaptors so hydro brakes like Magura and SRAM can be used as well on the same mount.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

JN2Wheels wrote:
SuperDave wrote:The AR4 and AR2 frame, fork, and seatpost are indeed different in terms of lay up and frame molds.
I'm crystal clear on where the OEM price differences are of these components and why there is a $2500 price jump from the AR2 to the AR4 but perhaps there are aftermarket sources that dip well below the MSRP.
I can add on the cost differences on the frameset and the penalty that the small volume of Di2 production adds vs. the huge volume of mechanical Ultegra bikes but I think you'll find these differences are absorbed and the component price differences are higher than you anticipated.

-Dave

Thanks for details, SuperD! My question may have come off a bit abrasive. I was just floored to see an Ultegra DI2 build at such a price point, and $2700 dollars more than the mechanical equivalent. I mainly wanted to clarify it wasn't a typo! I'm sure you have the numbers. And thanks for sharing the spec bump specifics.
Knowing that the layup is different for both frame and seatpost does explain a little. It's just that for most people, UDi2 is the way in to electronic at a budget-friendly price point. For me, at least, I feel you guys may have missed the point by upspeccing that model so much. Let 9070 stand as the premium shimano electric, and use Udi2 to entice new electronic customers who are price sensitive.
Anyway, the frame looks awesome and will no doubt do very well. Congrats, and I can't wait to read first rides!

Help me with your expectations please.

Start with the Felt AR1 frame (or any companies carbon aero road frame)
Add an Ultegra Di2 11 speed group
Add 3T carbon cockpit and 3T carbon wheels
Add any premium ti-rail saddle
Add any premium clincher tire

What do you expect to pay for the bike describe above? Just like grade school, show your math work.

It is also worth noting that Ultegra Di2 won't show up in any significant quantity before Jan 1st cutting potential sales volume (for us) in half.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Cheers! wrote:I want a AR FRD so bad. How do I convince the wife?

Buy two.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

prendrefeu wrote:It looks nice!
I only have two questions:

1. Will the framesets (either the electronic version or the mechanical) be able to accommodate hydraulic shifting? Or is the owner obligated to buy a new frame when those systems soon come out?
2. Have the geometry tables been posted anywhere?

Hydro shifters? If you are referring to the SRAM images leaked, those were a joke. If you are referring to the ACROS(?) system shown at Eurobike a couple seasons ago, then yes, their hydro shift housing would fit through our mechanically routed internal holes on the downtube of the AR1, AR3R, AR4, and AR5. You'd need the hydro cable guides off the Z2R or Z3R model. I have no idea how to detach and/or bleed that system though.

Geo will be published with the web launch to coincide with EB. If I were better at cut and pasting from excel into this BB I'd drop them in here but I trust you can wait a week.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Cheers! wrote:Is there a super hi res image of the AR FRD I can use as my desktop wallpaper?

Yes, we have a huge file I could send you in .eps format or you can download it from our website in .png or .jpg once it goes live next week.
-SD

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

SuperDave wrote:Hydro shifters? If you are referring to the SRAM images leaked, those were a joke. If you are referring to the ACROS(?) system shown at Eurobike a couple seasons ago, then yes, their hydro shift housing would fit through our mechanically routed internal holes on the downtube of the AR1, AR3R, AR4, and AR5. You'd need the hydro cable guides off the Z2R or Z3R model. I have no idea how to detach and/or bleed that system though.

Ummm... no, not the "leaked images" - those we determined to be fake long ago.
ACROS is developing a Road shift system, as verified at Interbike 2012 and from insider contacts is very close to release.
... and then, finally, word from your competition: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113669&start=90#p996220
As you know, WW aren't fools to fall for the fake images that float around the internet!

That said, the reason I asked is because some of us choose to keep a frame or components for several years and upgrading selectively rather than buying new things all the time. Well, some of us. I like this frame, and potentially if the geometry works, it is worth consideration - but I want to know if it will accommodate the near future. :wink:
The new AR series has two separate and distinct frames: one designed for eletronic, the other for mechanical.
On the other side, the newest Cervelo RCA has one frame that can take on all three drivetrain & shift options, with a simple switch of some small grommets.

SuperDave wrote:Geo will be published with the web launch to coincide with EB. If I were better at cut and pasting from excel into this BB I'd drop them in here but I trust you can wait a week.

Thanks!
Last edited by prendrefeu on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

53x12

by 53x12

SuperDave wrote:
Yes, we have a huge file I could send you in .eps format or you can download it from our website in .png or .jpg once it goes live next week.
-SD

Cool. Look forward to a new background.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com