Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fa63

by fa63

To add on to the pile of questions already, is the frame able to accommodate a 25mm rear tire? I understand this is an aero frame but still curious.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

SLCBrandon wrote:Dave,

For the record, I've never thought much of buying a Felt. But after reading your replies, you should know consumers like me really appreciate hearing from guys like you. Makes you feel like curtain is pulled back some and you realize there are real enthusiasts, like us, behind this.
Really refreshing and I've now visited your site for the first time. Just thought I'd let you know.

Brandon,

Thanks for your comment. I think "consumers like you" and "guys like me" are really the same people. Nearly everyone here at Felt chose to follow their passion for cycling instead of a career in other more lucrative industries simply because we love bicycles. We are lucky at Felt because of the huge amount of resources that are allocated to engineering and development. We have more people in our engineering department than our marketing department. We spend more money in the wind tunnel than we do on media/print ads.

I'm not so arrogant to think that Felt's products are so much better than everyone else that there really are no other options you should consider, but I do think our people are truly exceptional and share the goal to create the best.

Very best regards,
Dave Koesel
Felt Bicycles

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Cheers! wrote:Hi Dave,

Is the AR FRD frameset only meant for electronic groups? Beautiful frame! As a long time diehard Cervelo frame the AR FRD has got me thinking twice now.

Yes, in order to achieve the low weight and maintain the high stiffness and maximize aerodynamics we kept the electronic-only cable routing mold with the UHC Ultimate + TeXtreme layup.

Regards,
SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Ahillock wrote:SD, did the new AR take into account having a water bottle (or two) with the design of the frame?

Yes, and for an all out aero machine find yourself a pair of Elite aero bottles. If you can't find one of those the Specialize Virtue bottle is also good. Standard round bottles will cost you ~20-50g of drag depending on frame size and yaw. Good aero bottles will reduce drag over a -20,0,20 sweep.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Sykes wrote:Dave,

Like others have said, thank you for being so forthcoming. I do have a couple of follow up questions:

1. What is the weight of the AR1 frame and fork?
2. What BB is the AR using?
3. When do you expect first deliveries to be rolling out, both for the AR1 and FRD versions if they are different?

1. I don't have a 56cm raw AR1 frame here to measure, I only have an AR2/3 EPS frame which doesn't have provisions for mechanical cable routing so it is lighter. The 56cm is 1024g and the uncut fork is 363g.
2. The BB in all AR models in 2013 is the BB30 standard. (42mm press-in bearings)
3. Both framesets will be available before Christmas with 56, 54, 58cm sizes about a month ahead of 48, 51, and 61.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

HUMP DIESEL wrote:I like the fact that there is a Campy option.

HUMP

This is an exciting model for me, too. AR1-level lay up with electronic-only frame mold, centerpull aero front brake, 35mm aero wheels. 3T cockpit.
http://www.pelotonmagazine.com/contentimages/FeltAR3.jpg

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

fa63 wrote:To add on to the pile of questions already, is the frame able to accommodate a 25mm rear tire? I understand this is an aero frame but still curious.

Yes, I am running 25mm tires on my AR1 bike.

-SD

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Can you talk about why the mechanical version of the frame went with the cabling into the DT and not behind the steerer for the entry point?

Cheers!

by Cheers!

My experience with the behind the stem routing on cervelos is that they are finicky and adds friction due to the bends. For 11 speed Shimano and Campagnolo they require perfect routings with minimal drag to work properly.

BmanX

by BmanX

Yes that is exactly why they went with the down tube entry and I am guessing that is why the new S3 did the same. That being said, I have never had an issue with shifting after making the behind the stem modification on my SLC which shifts amazingly well. Mabye it has more to do with the way I did it than a stock version.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Ahillock wrote:Can you talk about why the mechanical version of the frame went with the cabling into the DT and not behind the steerer for the entry point?

The downtube cable routing proved to be the best method to achieve consistent excellent shifting with the new 11 speed groups that will appear in the coming days and in 2015 as well as balancing the added weight a drop-in or full-housing run bike would require.

-SD

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Well thanks for the answers guys. I guess the aero loss of the DT routing was outweighed by the better performance in shifting?

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Precisely. You have to be able to get into the right gear to go fast before the aero makes a difference. If you can't pedal up to speed. There is no point of having aero benefits.

Sykes

by Sykes

Dave,

Can you order each frameset in either mechanical or electronic version? Or does the AR1 frameset only come as mech and the FRD frameset electronic?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

"Dave,

Can you order each frameset in either mechanical or electronic version? Or does the AR1 frameset only come as mech and the FRD frameset electronic?"

FRD frameset will be electronic
AR1 frameset will be mechanical

Sykes, this was posted earlier in the thread:

SuperDave wrote:
There are two frame molds:

The AR FRD, AR2 and AR3 EPS all use electronic shifting with the cable routing entering behind the stem.
The AR1, AR3 Red, AR4 and AR5 all use cable stops which allow mechanical cable housing to run inside the downtube through the frame.

The cable routing was revised to optimize the balance of performance, user service-friendly, and upgrade-able. Behind the stem cabling remains the most aerodynamic location to route the cables but is less desirable for future 11 speed groups' function.

-Dave
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."