Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KingNothing

by KingNothing

Ok That stunds great. Thanks a lot

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Just a quick note on the 3t clamps for the oval saddle rails. I had exactly this problem last year when building my AR1. I had a Specialized Toupe with 7x9 carbon rails and I too ordered the oval clamps from 3t. They didn't work. There was far too much play up and down with the clamps torqued up. I tried using padding and tape to take up the slack, but I wouldn't have been happy riding it like that.

I think the problem is that most 7x9 saddles aren't all the same. Some riders reported success in using the clamps with Selle Italia saddles. I ended up having to buy a metal railed saddle to use and it has been fine since.

Loving the new 2015 builds, trying not to be tempted! I hope they've changed the design of the clamps and they now work better.

aaric

by aaric

You could try the other seatpost that comes with the FRD - I think I read that you could buy one, but that doesn't mean they are readily available or affordable. The clamping mechanism on the FRD seatpost is different, and should work with any thickness of rail (currently running an antares 00 carbon railed on mine)

Mize

by Mize

I have the non 3T on my AR1 and it fits the Arione 00 well. I think it's very hard to find AR seat posts though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Yeah I knew that was an option, to buy the seatpost with the Felt clamp. That one clamps from the top and bottom and not the sides, so yeah that would work with any rail.

At that point in time I couldn't justify the £200 odd for another seatpost, so I just bought a new saddle (£60). Plus I had waited 6 months from ordering the frame so don't really want to wait any longer to get hold of another seatpost. Hopefully things are different now. I think the elastomer in the 3t mechanism works well to replicate the vibration damping from a carbon rail.

martyno

by martyno

I'veI got my AR1 2015 a few weeks ago.
From Netherlands

KingNothing

by KingNothing

That is another very nice build. How much does it weigh?

I’m building up my own ar1 at the moment. It’s my first carbon build so I’m a little anxious getting everything torqued just right.
Could any of you tell me what is the right torque on the front and rear brake? (front br-9000 rear br-6810)
What is the right torque for the stem on the steer tube? And can I use fiber grip on the steer tube?
And a final question, asebling the fork and headset I feel like I’m missing something (maybe it’s because of the integrated crown race) from the picture, can anyone tell me if it looks right or am I missing a piece?

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

i went with 5 nm for the rear brake and always do 7 nm for the front brake, combined with a washer with sharp teeth. don't know if that's the official version, has just been working ok for me.
torque the stem as probably written on the stem, most of the times that's 5 nm so the steerer will survive that for sure.
i never use friction paste for the stem-steerer because there's not much force(unlike stem-handlebar e.g.)and in case of a crash i acually prefer to have the stem getting rotated on the fork instead of maybe a shift lever or handlebar gets bent.
i think you lack the lower part of the top cap. you can either use the low stack top cap alone or the low and high stack combined for 25(?) mm top cap.
you don't need a cone on the fork for the lower bearing as that's been integrated into the steerer.

KingNothing

by KingNothing

Thank a lot I really appreciate your advice. Can’t wait to ride it :-D

aratrus

by aratrus

i've the same headset on my ar1 and superdave said is ok ;)

bkw

by bkw

Does anyone know of anywhere that has the Tektro T750R in stock? I've been trying Tektro themselves and they do not have an ETA as to when they'll be restocking them. I'm in the US and would prefer to find someone in country, but international is not out of the question.

-OR-

Besides the eebrake dual mount, are there any other calipers that are compatible with the AR and Stages power meter?

Stancke

by Stancke

Hello guys

I'm closing my search for an 2015 Felt AR1 frameset. Want to build the frame with an Ultegra 6800 groupset or SRAM Rival.

Is it plug-and-play to place the groupset on the bike do I need extra pieces? What do I forget? Do I need an other bottom brake, do I need additional pieces?

Thanks in advance for any help and I've got soon my AR1 bike ready :)

aratrus

by aratrus

same situation here! i've bought an praxis adaptor bb30 to shimano for the crankset

mjensen2k

by mjensen2k

I'm just about done building up my 2015 AR51 8) I had a full ultegra di2 build on an old frame, so I bought an AR5, stripped it down, swapped components and am building it up as an internally wired di2 with C50 wheels, carbon bars/pedals, etc.

I chose the KCNC BB30 to HT2 adapter with the ceramic angular contact bearings.

This is my third build, but the first with the direct mount under-frame rear brake. While I have the cables routed, I'm struggling a bit with the Shimano in-line release and the bottom brake. The release seems stiff, and the Jagwire cable housing seems to just barely fit/is too tight??

Last night when I was working through the rear derailleur adjustments, the rear brake went 'off'. Meaning one arm (drive side) was pushing against the tire pretty hard. I had to use the release to even be able to spin the tire. I was about out of steam so I'll go back to it tonight.

Anyone seen this behavior? If I squeezed the brake, it simply wanted to push my tire further to the non-drive side. It wasn't symmetrical as it rested, though it was nice and centered moments before.

EDIT: I believe my problem had to do with getting a clean seating of the Jagwire cable housing into the retaining spot, if that makes sense. I cleaned it up, got a solid seat, readjusted and things were near centered. I needed to use the centering screw a little more than I expected, but have it pretty well dialed in. Though the rear 105 brake feels a little weak to me, it is centered and functioning fine.

Thanks!
Last edited by mjensen2k on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bratz

by bratz

Just wondering for AR owners that has the VR seatpost if they're experience the saddle rocking on the clamp.Clamp is tighten hand-tight and if I push/pull the saddle nose it will move up/down. Pulling out the 3T clamp, it's slightly taller than the 7mm rails hence the reason it can move up/down. Saddle is stock from complete bike and I didnt notice this when the bike is new. 1 month old 3 rides in now.. I'll see if other owner is experiencing the same before writing to Felt. Ooh the BB creaks since out of the box.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com