Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SkippyMcJimmelstein

by SkippyMcJimmelstein

BmanX wrote:Dave,

I see that the seat post will be able to be swapped from 73 degree to 78.5 degree which I really like.

Sorry to quote this from the second page, but where can I find more about this?

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

SkippyMcJimmelstein wrote:
BmanX wrote:Dave,

I see that the seat post will be able to be swapped from 73 degree to 78.5 degree which I really like.

Sorry to quote this from the second page, but where can I find more about this?

Depending on your saddle height the seat angle range is adjustable. By flipping the seatpost you can achieve a forward position on the bike for a aerobar compatible posture. This "VGO" or Variable Geometry - Optimized is more that just the seatpost however. We've also change the chainstay and head angles to better mate with a more forward stance and included a 4mm or 22mm headset cover for traditional road and a slammed "aero" cockpit.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/new ... 360-70.png

-Dave

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nosuga

by Nosuga

Dave,

Any idea on what color AR1 frame I will be getting? The Color on the website show black letters and when
I ordered the frame back in September they were white. I really like the black on black and was wondering if I
have a choice if I call my LBS? Thanks for your time.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Nosuga wrote:Dave,

Any idea on what color AR1 frame I will be getting? The Color on the website show black letters and when
I ordered the frame back in September they were white. I really like the black on black and was wondering if I
have a choice if I call my LBS? Thanks for your time.

Black on Black is the production artwork for consumers. Select professional teams and sponsored athletes get the high-vis white decals.

-SD

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

I bet you want the white decals on your bike now you know it's the limited edition version!? :-)

Pretty excited to say that I put an order in for my AR1 frameset today at the local bike shop. No one really seems to know when they're going to be hitting the UK yet, but February seems to be the educated guess right now.

Dave, do you know if the frame will accept the Praxis Works BB30 adapter Ok? I've seen on the Praxis site that some Felt frames are not compatible due to a carbon lip in the BB shell. From what I can tell in the pictures this shouldn't be an issue with the AR1 as it look like it has a machined aluminium shell. As long as the circlips are removable then I guess it'll be Ok? Just looking for the best solution possible for running Shimano cranks on there.

Many thanks
Michael

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Deleted

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

mitchgixer6 wrote:I bet you want the white decals on your bike now you know it's the limited edition version!? :-)

Pretty excited to say that I put an order in for my AR1 frameset today at the local bike shop. No one really seems to know when they're going to be hitting the UK yet, but February seems to be the educated guess right now.

Dave, do you know if the frame will accept the Praxis Works BB30 adapter Ok? I've seen on the Praxis site that some Felt frames are not compatible due to a carbon lip in the BB shell. From what I can tell in the pictures this shouldn't be an issue with the AR1 as it look like it has a machined aluminium shell. As long as the circlips are removable then I guess it'll be Ok? Just looking for the best solution possible for running Shimano cranks on there.

Many thanks
Michael

Yes, sir. I just put a 9070 kit on my AR1 and used a Praxis BB. I've also had good luck with the Enduro ACBs + 24mm reducers.

-SD

Stefano

by Stefano

Hey Super Dave, I was wondering- for the AR5 frame, is it upgradeable to electronic shifting? I know the AR1 is, but is the mold different for the AR5 vs the others in the lineup? I may be getting a really amazing deal on some 7970, so if I got it I'd like to put that on if possible.

Thanks!

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Thanks once again for the info Dave. Good to know the Praxis will work Ok, certainly seems the best option for this issue. Unfortunately I can't afford the dura ace electronic kit, maybe another picture of your bike to keep us all drooling!? :-)

Stefano, I'm sure Dave will answer you directly but going by previous replies the AR5 frame does indeed come from the same mold as the AR1, it just has a different grade of carbon. You should be able to use the Di2 kit no problem.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

SuperDave wrote:Yes, sir. I just put a 9070 kit on my AR1 and used a Praxis BB. I've also had good luck with the Enduro ACBs + 24mm reducers.

-SD

Sorry to be a pain with more questions, but I see there is a new version of the Praxis Works adapter that has holes drilled for internal cable routing. Do you know if this is will be required for mechanical 6800 cable routing on the AR1?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Do you guys have any posted weights on the AR1 frameset yet?

Also, site says 24mm reducers. You could pressfit regular bb30 if you would like right? Otherwise, they will also take gxp cranks?

Interested in seeing and hearing the AR1 and FRD frames and weights, testing and feedback soon.

I just switched to 9070 also, but run Quarq S975 cranks.

SkippyMcJimmelstein

by SkippyMcJimmelstein

Any chance we can see a pic of the AR1 built up?

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Stefano wrote:Hey Super Dave, I was wondering- for the AR5 frame, is it upgradeable to electronic shifting? I know the AR1 is, but is the mold different for the AR5 vs the others in the lineup? I may be getting a really amazing deal on some 7970, so if I got it I'd like to put that on if possible.

Thanks!

The AR1 and AR5 use the same frame mold, thus they are both convertible to electronic and hydraulic shifting systems.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

mitchgixer6 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:Yes, sir. I just put a 9070 kit on my AR1 and used a Praxis BB. I've also had good luck with the Enduro ACBs + 24mm reducers.

-SD

Sorry to be a pain with more questions, but I see there is a new version of the Praxis Works adapter that has holes drilled for internal cable routing. Do you know if this is will be required for mechanical 6800 cable routing on the AR1?

No, it is not required as the BB shell on carbon Felt bicycles is contained in its own "chamber" to prevent any contamination. Basically if you get water inside the frame it cannot reach the BB bearings. The cables run on the outside of this internal structure. It also makes the BB area stiffer as there is a connection between the two sides of the frame so it doesn't rely on the BB spindle (and bearings) to keep the two halves or sides of the frame from shearing under load.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Zigmeister wrote:Do you guys have any posted weights on the AR1 frameset yet?

Also, site says 24mm reducers. You could pressfit regular bb30 if you would like right? Otherwise, they will also take gxp cranks?

Interested in seeing and hearing the AR1 and FRD frames and weights, testing and feedback soon.

I just switched to 9070 also, but run Quarq S975 cranks.

1021g.

You can use just about any crankset in the AR bikes. GXP will work with the right reducers. The AR1 comes with 24mm reducers to run Shimano cranks. Just omit the reducers if you are running BB30 spindled cranks. You cannot use threaded BB 3 piece cranks on the AR FRD but adapters are available should you choose to do so on the AR1.
-SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com