Felt 2014 AR1

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

yep , true that - I'm just jealous mate!

Mize

by Mize

Have to admit it's a bit ugly (I've seen it on an AR5 at the shop), but I'd rather have that than have to change wheels with a cable pull and the bike in a stand...then again, I'm going to have to change pads every time anyway...(unless there are some pads that work on both carbon and alloy well without damaging the carbons when you switch back owing to metal chips).

by Weenie

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

You've got to wonder why shimano didn't design something into the caliper that would act like a qr. The system that's on v brakes works perfectly, surely it wouldn't have been hard to fit that into the design of the direct mount brakes.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

The front direct mount brake has the same QR lever and barrel adjuster as their standard brake, but when companies place it under the bottom bracket, you lose easy access to those and thus that in-line adjuster is needed.

Last edited by BeeSeeBee on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mize

by Mize

That photo is the front brake. AFAIK there is no QR or barrel on either the Ultegra or Dura Ace *rear* brake.

Twinning

by Twinning

Mize wrote:That photo is the front brake. AFAIK there is no QR or barrel on either the Ultegra or Dura Ace *rear* brake.

Correct. I have the rear dura ace 9000 direct mount brake and the only modulation that can occur with the brake is twisting a screw that moves the brake left or right to make it centered. You need an inline quick release with adjuster which is solved by cb-90. It's really not that bad. If it bothers you while you are riding then you aren't riding fast enough because you are paying attention to it. And if you aren't riding fast enough, you don't need an aero bike. Problem solved. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mize

by Mize

LOL! :) Good answer!

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Yeah, I imagine they realized the rear brake wouldn't be accessible unless the bike was flipped over, thus it would be better to separate those two things from the brake itself.

emartin

by emartin

I just received my AR2 with Ultegra DI2. Love everything about the bike so far but I only used it indoor a couple of time, here in Quebec it's -25 Celcius with 3 feet of snow.

I said I loved everything, well almost. First, with the attention to detail FELT usually does, the cheap aluminum headset look out of place on this bike. Also, I'm having somme issue with the rear brake. First there was zero information about how to adjust it so I ad found the info on the web. The actuation show alot of resistance when compare to the front brake or other BB caliper I used on a Giant Trinity for exemple. The ducumentation I found show that the tension spring can be adjusted with a 2mm allen, mine does't have this feature. I wonder if the Dura-Ace is smoother, any advice is welcome. I also saw two versions of the Ultegra/Dura-Ace direct mount brakes, the other I saw look alot like standard calipers...would tose fit on the AR?

A last, the Ultegra DI2 hoods show a major design flaw. The end of the brake cable doesn't fit deep enough so when the lever is depress, the top of the round part of the cable end rub at the top so the lever doesn't return by itself. Yes it installed properly, I had to grind the top of the cable end to give enough clearance. I assumed I'm not the first to experience this but didn't found anything about it... Should I ask my lbs to contact Shimano about this issue?

That being said the rest of the bike is superb, I'm 5'8" and the 54 fit me perfectly...cannot wait to hit the road.

BTW, I was wonder why the is no UCI sticker on this bike, is it "illegal" in any way? Will I have trouble to use it for national event where bikes are checked?

emartin

by emartin

Twinning

by Twinning

emartin wrote:I just received my AR2 with Ultegra DI2. Love everything about the bike so far but I only used it indoor a couple of time, here in Quebec it's -25 Celcius with 3 feet of snow.

I said I loved everything, well almost. First, with the attention to detail FELT usually does, the cheap aluminum headset look out of place on this bike. Also, I'm having somme issue with the rear brake. First there was zero information about how to adjust it so I ad found the info on the web. The actuation show alot of resistance when compare to the front brake or other BB caliper I used on a Giant Trinity for exemple. The ducumentation I found show that the tension spring can be adjusted with a 2mm allen, mine does't have this feature. I wonder if the Dura-Ace is smoother, any advice is welcome. I also saw two versions of the Ultegra/Dura-Ace direct mount brakes, the other I saw look alot like standard calipers...would tose fit on the AR?

A last, the Ultegra DI2 hoods show a major design flaw. The end of the brake cable doesn't fit deep enough so when the lever is depress, the top of the round part of the cable end rub at the top so the lever doesn't return by itself. Yes it installed properly, I had to grind the top of the cable end to give enough clearance. I assumed I'm not the first to experience this but didn't found anything about it... Should I ask my lbs to contact Shimano about this issue?

That being said the rest of the bike is superb, I'm 5'8" and the 54 fit me perfectly...cannot wait to hit the road.

BTW, I was wonder why the is no UCI sticker on this bike, is it "illegal" in any way? Will I have trouble to use it for national event where bikes are checked?

Nice bike. Congrats. As for the brakes. I know that they were a little tight when I first had them put on. It has loosened up since then. It is a lot of angles required for the cable to run through the frame and will cause some difficulty to pull. I can't think of a reason that it loosened since then or maybe I have just gotten used to it. I have the dura ace 9000 direct mount rear brake and it has this spring adjustment that you are referring to but I have not played with it. Either the ultegra or dura ace direct mount brake will work on this bike.

I can't offer any suggestions to your brake lever issue though. I ride sram.

emartin

by emartin

Twinning wrote:
emartin wrote:I just received my AR2 with Ultegra DI2. Love everything about the bike so far but I only used it indoor a couple of time, here in Quebec it's -25 Celcius with 3 feet of snow.

Nice bike. Congrats. As for the brakes. I know that they were a little tight when I first had them put on. It has loosened up since then. It is a lot of angles required for the cable to run through the frame and will cause some difficulty to pull. I can't think of a reason that it loosened since then or maybe I have just gotten used to it. I have the dura ace 9000 direct mount rear brake and it has this spring adjustment that you are referring to but I have not played with it. Either the ultegra or dura ace direct mount brake will work on this bike.

Does your Dura-Ace rear brake look like the one on the post above or is it the one with a long arm sticking out of the frame and the exposed coil spring?

On another note, a question to Dave probably, my bike came with this super black bar tape with super small hole exposing green color and a super "suede like" texture. Can this tape available for retail?

Twinning

by Twinning

emartin wrote:
Twinning wrote:

Does your Dura-Ace rear brake look like the one on the post above or is it the one with a long arm sticking out of the frame and the exposed coil spring?

On another note, a question to Dave probably, my bike came with this super black bar tape with super small hole exposing green color and a super "suede like" texture. Can this tape available for retail?

Found some pictures online. It looks like this. ImageImage

emartin

by emartin

Twinning wrote:
emartin wrote:
Twinning wrote:

Mine look also like that and I just measured and realized that the long arm sticking out unable the use of a STAGES powermeter. I have ordered one that should arrive in a couple of weeks so I have to find a solution. There's not much information on the Shimano website about the other style. Any clue?

by Weenie

Twinning

by Twinning

emartin wrote:
Twinning wrote:
emartin wrote:
Twinning wrote:

Mine look also like that and I just measured and realized that the long arm sticking out unable the use of a STAGES powermeter. I have ordered one that should arrive in a couple of weeks so I have to find a solution. There's not much information on the Shimano website about the other style. Any clue?

Not sure about the STAGES. But you won't know until it is installed if it will work or not. You can always get a quarq. :) what other style is there out there for shimano? I think trp makes one you can use.