Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

From what I have heard locally in the US almost everyone is having an issue getting an AR including those at dealers that normally have very good support from Felt.

If one thing is killing this brand its the fact that their frames seem impossible to get, anywhere, any time. The same was true locally when I tried to get an FC, twice.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

KWalker wrote:Do you guys not realize that Dave does not work in customer support, shipping, or sales? Ask your dealer, its not his job to be running queries around like this.

I think most of us get that...but how many employees and what kind of silos do they have going on is the real question that would not allow for information to flow?

Seems like your typical manufacturer complete lack of information to the customer we see in this business.

Vaporware...haha

But seriously, really want to see the numbers on the new AR1, not the FRD, well Dave posted those. But based on comments here, I guessing the AR1 is flexy. Since the FRD wasn't as stiff at the Foil Team. That means the AR1 is going to be noodley in comparison to the other top bikes.

Maybe a comparison they should do between the Foil 15 and AR1.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Looks to me there's only one guy complaining about the frame being flexy, and he was putting out in excess of 1000 watts. That's pretty unusual I'd say.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

I'm out of form right now so the most I've put through the AR1 frame is 1300w, no discernible flex. Certainly no brake rubbing.
Ride quality is fantastic.
If you're waiting on one it will be worth it...

Got asked about stages with eebrake DM caliper so took the required measurements and there is plenty of space if you wish to estimate your power.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I can't imagine this bike being a "noodle"

And as much as I lust after a Foil - I'd be shocked if it's nearly as slippery as the new AR

DuncanS

by DuncanS

Zigmeister wrote:
But seriously, really want to see the numbers on the new AR1, not the FRD, well Dave posted those. But based on comments here, I guessing the AR1 is flexy. Since the FRD wasn't as stiff at the Foil Team. That means the AR1 is going to be noodley in comparison to the other top bikes.

Its been stated several times, they are engineered for the same stiffness. The only number you would see change is the weight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

trilocus

by trilocus

I get the t750r direct mount brake. Now i can use my stages powermeter.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

DuncanS wrote:
Zigmeister wrote:

Its been stated several times, they are engineered for the same stiffness. The only number you would see change is the weight.

Really? That would be unusual. Most manufactures, Scott/Specialized etc, that have different levels, a top-end frame of the same design, and a lower model, use different carbon, which of course many things makes up stiffness, but the carbon is certainly of higher quality, and lighter on spots, and the intention is the make it stiffer typically in the HT/BB area.

Of course, all we get from the manufacturers is non-proprietary info, so hard to say.

I would be surprised if it really was the same stiffness, just 100g heavier or something like that.

Also, I ride a Scott Foil, not a Foil 15, formerly had two Foil Team editions. I can tell you, there is definitely a difference in the HT stiffness between each, BB, also, slightly.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Giant doesn't advertise their propel advanced much, as it's not their top tier propel, but it's laterally stiffer then the sl version. I don't have the numbers handy so I don't know if it was front/rear or combined but it was something like 10% stiffer.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

DuncanS

by DuncanS

OK here's the quote from SD. Admittedly the FRD could have different stiffness from all the others:

SuperDave wrote:
The 2014 AR1 is over 30% stiffer in both BB and HT than the old AR1.

AR1, AR2, AR3E, AR3R, AR4 and AR5 all have the same stiffness, just different frame weights.

-SD

revpower

by revpower

Hi Superdave, how about AR FRD? I interest to buy the frame, but from information i get in here i assume that i won't get the frame this year, is that true?
I live in Indonesia, i see you do not have agent in here. So how can i get the frame?

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

@ cyclenutnz
any chance you could post a pic looking down to the bb area where you're able to see where the ee brakes are in reference to the bb?
i'd like to know if i can combine an ar1 frame with a cannondale srm crank and an ee direct mount brake...
if anyone has the same pic with a shimano brake,that would be highly appreciated as well.
thanks!!!

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

simon wrote:@ cyclenutnz
any chance you could post a pic looking down to the bb area where you're able to see where the ee brakes are in reference to the bb?
i'd like to know if i can combine an ar1 frame with a cannondale srm crank and an ee direct mount brake...

The arms don't stick out any wider than the mounts. So anything will work.

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

that's awesome,thanks!any comments on how they work with wide rims,sram or shimano levers(different ratio)and(to pay this place justice)weight?

Dandegroot32

by Dandegroot32

Stiffness wise, I know a sprinter who loves his AR1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com