Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Well… my mistake!

I thought that Felt was using "Direct mount design to match to aero road frames with two-post brake mounts"… like this one: http://www.glorycycles.com/shdu90dimobr.html

But after Bridgey comment, I checked Felt website and indeed, the FRONT brake is clearly a "regular" dual pivot caliper. I am not sure about the REAR brake… from the description of the entire range, apparently the rear brake also uses a standard caliper.

austke

by austke

Yes I was wondering the same thing. But what is meant by "direct mount"?

My understanding of direct mount brakes is that they sit flush against the frame/fork. Eg. Not gap/airflow. Don't stick out as much. :)
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Guys, this is the type of rear brake (Ultegra 6810) you'll need for the new AR. There are also Dura Ace + 105 variants available. It is indeed the 'direct mount' variant. If you read the whole thread you'll find the answers you're looking for from Dave.

The front brake is indeed a standard mount, Felt did have a special caliper on there for the wind tunnel testing which I think was pulled from one of their TT bikes, and that was indeed a centre pull model. Don't think there's any info about availability for that yet.

trilocus

by trilocus

any news about availability of frames and bikes in europe?

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

I was in at my dealership today, he told me he's been advised to order up any complete bikes he might want for the shop soon as most of them have been selling really fast. I've ordered an AR1 frameset and have been advised late January early February for delivery. I'm in the UK.

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

Anyone know if the AR or F series will work with a Stages Power Meter or is the rear brake clearance too close? Typically those direct mounted breaks under the bb/chainstay do not allow the crank arm with the stages to rotate.

If it does not fit, does anyone know if you can get one of the Felt Aero TT Brakes from any vendor?

Twinning

by Twinning

LoggingMiles wrote:Anyone know if the AR or F series will work with a Stages Power Meter or is the rear brake clearance too close? Typically those direct mounted breaks under the bb/chainstay do not allow the crank arm with the stages to rotate.

If it does not fit, does anyone know if you can get one of the Felt Aero TT Brakes from any vendor?

It looks like the Felt Aero TT brake will actually be even larger since it is inside a housing which takes up space. You can always switch to a Quarq or SRM! :thumbup:

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Exactly, $200+ for the direct mount brake, and 150g weight...not so great.

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

Twinning wrote:
LoggingMiles wrote:Anyone know if the AR or F series will work with a Stages Power Meter or is the rear brake clearance too close? Typically those direct mounted breaks under the bb/chainstay do not allow the crank arm with the stages to rotate.

It looks like the Felt Aero TT brake will actually be even larger since it is inside a housing which takes up space. You can always switch to a Quarq or SRM! :thumbup:

I could, but I already have the Stages...Anyone know of a compatible brake?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

The Tektro T740 a brake that allows the Stages PM to work.

http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_produ ... rt=1&fid=2
Just ride ..

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

itsacarr wrote:The Tektro T740 a brake that allows the Stages PM to work.

http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_produ ... rt=1&fid=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. And that should be compatible with Ultegra 6870 and the Felt AR mount?

EDIT: Looks like it is OEM only. Not sure if you can find a source for them.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

SuperDave,

I saw you mentioning in Slowtwitch that the new AR is compatible with Campy v2 battery (at least the bigger sizes).

How about the F FRD? Can the seat tube fit the battery? And how about the charging port? Does it have the proper hole under the bb area as well?

(that would be for a size 56, btw)

Thanks!
Andre

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

itsacarr wrote:The Tektro T740 a brake that allows the Stages PM to work.

http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_produ ... rt=1&fid=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave answered this on another forum the brake models as well:

"Shimano Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105, TRP T750 and T740 as well as EEcycleworks have rear brakes that fit the Shimano direct-mount standard."

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

Great. Thanks.

I will see if I can find a source for the TRP OEM brakes. I do not believe any of the Shimano variants will have the required clearance.

Mize

by Mize

Those EEcycleworks sure are slick...for 10x the price :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com