Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deek

by deek

I am skeptical of the seat post being able to keep water out of the frame. Who am I kidding though, I live in SoCal and don't have to deal with rain too often. At least the slots on the seatpost aren't directly in the spray of the rear wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

deek wrote:I am skeptical of the seat post being able to keep water out of the frame. Who am I kidding though, I live in SoCal and don't have to deal with rain too often. At least the slots on the seatpost aren't directly in the spray of the rear wheel.

What seatpost + frame + clamp design does provide a waterproof seal by design?
If water were to get into the frame it would drain out the bottom, not into the BB shell as it may with many other brands open BB area.

-Dave

BmanX

by BmanX

You get a rain bike and never ride something this beautiful in the rain. Come on!
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

spartan

by spartan

SuperDave,

job well done on both the AR and IA. rumored drag numbers are the IA are insane.

"Massive tubes, blunt airfoil edges. Felt claims this bike is an absolute beast, especially at high yaw angles. They claim having seen yaw numbers as low as 345g for the complete bicycle, which is virtually the same as the drag for a pair of wheels ALONE."

curious why felt is sticking with bb30 when the entire line of AR bikes are specced with Shimano/Campy 24 axles.
what oem brand of bb30-24 adapters are used with shimano cranks. no creaking issues.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

spartan wrote:SuperDave,

job well done on both the AR and IA. rumored drag numbers are the IA are insane.

"Massive tubes, blunt airfoil edges. Felt claims this bike is an absolute beast, especially at high yaw angles. They claim having seen yaw numbers as low as 345g for the complete bicycle, which is virtually the same as the drag for a pair of wheels ALONE."

curious why felt is sticking with bb30 when the entire line of AR bikes are specced with Shimano/Campy 24 axles.
what oem brand of bb30-24 adapters are used with shimano cranks. no creaking issues.

Thanks, the aerodynamic performance of both bicycles is really something special and I'm eager to expand on. A couple more weeks of waiting.

We use BB30 because it allows any crankset to be run in the frame, certainly here at WW ya'll won't be content to run Shimano aluminum (gasp!) cranks.
We have developed reducers with FSA that include a non-metallic sleeve that prevents creaking. Don't forget that threaded bottom brackets can creak, too.
The AR5 comes with an FSA BB30 crankset installed as OEM as does the AR3R.

-SD

53x12

by 53x12

SD, similar to the F1 vs FC, will the AR FRD have a carbon bb shell and the AR1 and others have an alloy one?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Any idea what the weight is of the rear Felt brake with all the hardware and associated bits?

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Hi Dave.

Is the rear brake a proprietary style job, or can anything be used?

With regards to the AR FRD v the AR1, I assume if you want to keep mechanical groupset then that rules out the FRD correct?

Mark
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

53x12

by 53x12

@ Mark: Yes, that is the case. For framesets AR FRD= electronic while AR1= mechanical.

SuperDave wrote:
There are two frame molds:

The AR FRD, AR2 and AR3 EPS all use electronic shifting with the cable routing entering behind the stem.
The AR1, AR3 Red, AR4 and AR5 all use cable stops which allow mechanical cable housing to run inside the downtube through the frame.

The cable routing was revised to optimize the balance of performance, user service-friendly, and upgrade-able. Behind the stem cabling remains the most aerodynamic location to route the cables but is less desirable for future 11 speed groups' function.

-Dave
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Cheers man!

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

SuperDave wrote:The AR4 and AR2 frame, fork, and seatpost are indeed different in terms of lay up and frame molds.

I'm crystal clear on where the OEM price differences are of these components and why there is a $2500 price jump from the AR2 to the AR4 but perhaps there are aftermarket sources that dip well below the MSRP.

I can add on the cost differences on the frameset and the penalty that the small volume of Di2 production adds vs. the huge volume of mechanical Ultegra bikes but I think you'll find these differences are absorbed and the component price differences are higher than you anticipated.

-Dave

Thanks for details, SuperD! My question may have come off a bit abrasive. I was just floored to see an Ultegra DI2 build at such a price point, and $2700 dollars more than the mechanical equivalent. I mainly wanted to clarify it wasn't a typo! I'm sure you have the numbers. And thanks for sharing the spec bump specifics.

Knowing that the layup is different for both frame and seatpost does explain a little. It's just that for most people, UDi2 is the way in to electronic at a budget-friendly price point. For me, at least, I feel you guys may have missed the point by upspeccing that model so much. Let 9070 stand as the premium shimano electric, and use Udi2 to entice new electronic customers who are price sensitive.

Anyway, the frame looks awesome and will no doubt do very well. Congrats, and I can't wait to read first rides!
Last edited by JN2Wheels on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I want a AR FRD so bad. How do I convince the wife?

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Cheers! wrote:I want a AR FRD so bad. How do I convince the wife?

from past experience, better to buy it and ask for forgiveness rather than ask permission and be told no!

Cheers!

by Cheers!

This is the first time under the new regime. Previous 5 bike purchases were made before any wife and it was usually during a time of no significant other...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

what better way than to test the waters then!