Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

vedro wrote:Hi Guys,

I own an AR4 since march and was offered for my birthday a stage power meter.
My friends found the matching shimano arm that perfectly match the 6800 installed nativelly but they did not think to check if the rear brake would leave enough space for the stage left Crank arm to rotate.
As many on this post know the Tektro/trp 750r should be installed to leave enough space.
I managed to order the rear break directly from tektro usa it will be delivered early next week - I am not a huge technical guy and was wondering if the installation was tough - could someone who did it advice?
Thanks in advance

Yes, it appears it has been a challenge for some to set up correctly. Be sure to use a new high performance inner wire, make sure your housing is new or clean and kink-free. Reduce the spring tension as much as possible by removing the set screws used for spring tension adjustment. For narrow (<22mm) rims add ~1mm spacer between the brake arm and brake pad. Use compressionless housing from the adjuster to the brake noodle. Measure twice, cut once.

-SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I tried the Swiss dealer of Tektro and they didn't even know the brake existed, had to send them a link to it. Of course they couldn't track one down or order one.

Any other Euros know where to fine one ASAP?

vedro

by vedro

Thanks Superdave - will try or ask my local bike shop
@ultiguy no other options in Europe but tektro usa online shop
135$ with international delivery - ordered on wednesday received yesterday!
Cheers

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Thanks vedro, will go that route!

Finally had my first big day out on the bike. Spent most of my season in a Defy SL do that's the ref point here, quite a different bike but interesting contrast.

Lots of steep climbing early on- very impressed with agility and acceleration on climbs, lack of weight and good (although not great) lateral stiffness doing the job here. On shallower gradients it rolls great and holds speed well.

Descending- still need to work it out a bit. Been on bikes with much higher bb and managed to scrap a pedal twice when not really expecting. High speed stability not up to same level as Defy but that has longer wb and more rake.

60km rolling terrain solo home- 40 kph was never so easy, ridiculous. That said, after 4 hard hours in the saddle, I could feel my butt much more than the defy which can be expected.

Quirks- the way that ribbled uneven pavement goes through the bike makes it lose composure a bit, you feel the bike wobble front to back. Bigger dead on hits absorbed well though and even better than Defy which has a wrist rattlingly harsh front end sometimes.

Overall- for an aero bike, it's probably the best of all compromises. It climbs well and kills the flat. Good job!

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

ultyguy wrote:
Finally had my first big day out on the bike. Spent most of my season in a Defy SL do that's the ref point here

Lots of steep climbing early on- very impressed with agility and acceleration on climbs, lack of weight and good (although not great) lateral stiffness doing the job here.

So you found the AR to be less stiff than a Giant Defy SL?

I hope you don't mind me asking but what weight are you?

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Anybody ride a 48 here?

Curious as to how it looks like aesthetically. Us shorter dudes have to suffer from BMX-looking frames :(

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Mitchgixer- I'm 180cm, 75kgs, around 360w ftp. The Defy SL is misunderstood as a 'plush' bike, it's not. Yes it's chain stays are longer and rake a bit longer and front end a but higher than a TCR SL but otherwise it's the same level of carbon etc. In the dying days of Rabobank team, pretty much all their guys except 2 were on the Defy at the Tour even in mountain stages. It's really quite stiff in the BB.

It's not tested here but the word was the Defl SL was only a smidge less stiff than the TCR SL
http://www.fitworkscycling.com/uploads/ ... inal-1.pdf

vedro

by vedro

Small update on the tecktro/TRP 750 installation
I could not do it myself so asked my local bike dealer.
He told me it was tough but he made it!
It fits perfectly and leaves way enough space for the stage arm to turn
I am so happy! Powerhouse on!
Cheers

tranzformer

by tranzformer

53x12 wrote:
aaric wrote:I think SuperDave was referencing the AR3 EPS which are in stock, and have a lighter frame weight than the AR1, though the pic he showed is a mechanical routed bike...

That picture is of the '15 AR3. Looks like they are slightly changing things up on the '15 builds slightly. SD reply was in reference to '15s already here.

No offense to Felt, but there is a reason that the AR3 EPS was the only complete build in stock at their warehouse a few weeks ago when my shop checked. Those who are Campy users make up a small subset of our fellow brethren. Those who are Campy lovers and interested in a Felt as their new bike is even smaller. Didn't surprise me one bit, no matter how "great" that EPS build might have been. SRAM or Shimano is going to be what the vast majority/super-majority of Felt buyers will want.

I agree about the EPS AR bikes. My shop has a few in stock and has a hard time moving them. Been on significant discount for months now. No movement at all. I can see why Felt wanted to give EPS a shot, just don't see it as being that great of a success and understand why they would have to be heavily discounted to move them.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I'd rock the EPS version in a second....but I've built my AR1 w/ Record mechanical so I guess I'm one of the weirdos :lol:

natataka

by natataka

thinking of changing my shimano to rotor BB30. i have an ar1 with fsa adapters. what do i need to go to bb30? there are different ones...im a bit confused. psBB30 or just BB30? thanks in advance

ultyguy

by ultyguy

nataka- pretty sure you just need the BB30 bearing kit from Rotor and not the PF30 but others feel free to chime in (I was looking at Rotor too)

I got the Tektro brake and a DA 9000 chainset to move my stages across. Everything works ok in regards to clearance b/t the stages and the brake now. However, the 6800 direct mount brake had better lever feel and wasn't as squishy.

If anyone needs a 6800 direct mount rear brake, give me a shout.

Porkinson

by Porkinson

SuperDave wrote:
Porkinson wrote:
SuperDave wrote:Yes. Your local Felt Dealer can order them through the Felt distributor in the UK - Saddleback who can access these parts through our global distribution center in Germany.
-SD

Dealer has just told me that Felt can't do a replacement seatpost? :cry:

Of course you can replace the seatpost. Who did your dealer talk to?
PN: 910306 - Seatpost AR 2014+ FESP11 (3T) - “Vibration Reducing Module”
PN: 910308 - Seatpost AR 2014+ FESP12 (teXtreme) - “VariMount”

-SD

They guy from Saddleback told me this when I told him your reply and gave him the part number:

"HI Simon,

It looks like your quote is direct from the US?
Felt Europe is a separate entity, and as of yet have not had spares for these. They will be available in the future, but a realistic ETA would be the end of this year or early next.

David"

kenshinvt

by kenshinvt

SuperDave wrote:The AR5 does not use the same material as the AR1 and the gap between the AR1 and AR5 is a bit bigger in 2015 in terms of the material.
The AR1 and AR5 have the same stiffness and aerodynamic qualities. They use the same molds. It isn't like the S-series from Cervelo or the Propel from Giant. The wind doesn't know what materials or group you're running or how much you spent on your frame.

Dave, since you commented on the topic, I was wondering if you could elaborate on the differences on the 2015 AR1/2 vs AR FRD framesets. Since the Textreme has trickled down to the AR1/2 for MY15, one would expect the differences to have shrunk considerably. Weights, frameset part specs, etc. anything that you'd have to share would be interesting to hear. And on that note, weight difference between the AR2 down to the 3/5 below would be nice as well. It seems like weight is key if the stiffness is the same between framesets and they are shaped in the same molds.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Any euro weenies gotten a hold of the lower headset topper? Can't track one down :-(