Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liketoride

by liketoride

I live in southern california. I placed my order in Nov. and just took it out of the store yesterday and have not had a chance to open the box yet. I will be doing so today. SD was very helpful and i just want to say thanks again to him.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mize

by Mize

Porkinson wrote:After you, sometime in January for the AR1. About a month ago for the AR3 as soon as it hit Evan's database.

I'm thinking about not racing mine, at least in crits. Seen more crashes than ever this year.

I raced yesterday in 20 mph winds with 30 mph gusts with my Enves (got home from a trip the night before and no time to swap brake pads and wheels). Got pushed around a bit in the wind but kept it controlled & managed 4th, but there were at least three ambulance accidents attributed to wind. Has me thinking of riding a different bike for crits too, though I can't imagine foregoing the AR1 for rrs.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

race friend's ar1 he just built. This thing is unreal in person.

Mize

by Mize

That's not an AR1, that's an AR FRD (drool)

Porkinson

by Porkinson

Mize wrote:
I raced yesterday in 20 mph winds with 30 mph gusts with my Enves (got home from a trip the night before and no time to swap brake pads and wheels). Got pushed around a bit in the wind but kept it controlled & managed 4th, but there were at least three ambulance accidents attributed to wind. Has me thinking of riding a different bike for crits too, though I can't imagine foregoing the AR1 for rrs.

Nice result, hope everyone is OK.

They started a series of crits near me on basically an outdoor velodrome 40 minutes, no corners, no hills and everybody fancies themselves for a sprint at the end was always going to happen.

I'll ride it for road races but you won't catch me off the front every so doubt it will make much difference.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

EDIT

I had been asking SD for some help on the allocation of AR1 frames in the UK. After trying all day my LBS finally managed to get through to the distributor and I now have ANOTHER date for the delivery of my frame, 22nd April. This was after my last estimate of 10th April came and went with no news.

Seems like they are definitely here in the UK and showing as in stock at the distributor. 22 containers apparently arrived and it took them a while to sort through all the bikes/frames and figure out where they were going. Don't know if this is standard in the bike industry but seems like a strange way to do things, just chuck the bikes on a boat and figure them all out when they arrive at the other end.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have just enough time to get the bike built up for my next road race on the 27th. Fingers crossed I've not forgotten to buy any parts!
Last edited by mitchgixer6 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trilocus

by trilocus

I spoke to my lbs because the frame arrived in week 14, and the frame was delayed again. I am waiting and i paid my frame in octuber. I can't accept more delays, if the frame is delayed again i will cancel the order.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Mize wrote:
Porkinson wrote:After you, sometime in January for the AR1. About a month ago for the AR3 as soon as it hit Evan's database.

I'm thinking about not racing mine, at least in crits. Seen more crashes than ever this year.

Well done on your 4th, and well done for avoiding the accidents! :(

Porkinson

by Porkinson

So they arrived with Saddleback on the 10th, it took them a week to work it's going to take them another week to send them out to dealers.

this is on top of a 4 month delay, and letting a retailer take a deposit (and processing an order with a delivery date) then later deciding they'd oversold and cancelled the order.

Since others have got theirs fine I'm gonna assume the fault is with Saddleback. They really need to pull their socks up.

Porkinson

by Porkinson

Mine got shipped today, but will arrive at the dealer Tuesday due to Easter. Wait is almost over.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Same for me, should be with the dealer on Tuesday. Must admit don't believe it until I actually get the call to say it's arrived, but the fact we both have been given the same info makes me hopeful.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

GOT MY AR1 FRAME!! :beerchug:

So I picked it up this afternoon. Chuffed doesn't really cover it though!! :D

Just starting my build and have run in to a few problems already though. First one should be easily solved, I got the 3T seatpost included with my frame which I wasn't expecting. Only issue with that is that it came with the rounds rail clamps and I need the oval clamps for my carbon rails. Will need to order up the oval clamps and until they come find a metal railed saddle to borrow.

Second issue is with the headset which hopefully some of the guys who have build their bike already could help with. The pictures show the problem as there is a small gap between the headset cover and the frame leaving the upper bearing exposed. Is this normal? It's the same with both the small cap and the large cap, and that's without using the 3 thin spacers that are included. Where should they go?

Looking forward to getting on with the build and testing the bike!!

Cheers

Mize

by Mize

Nice you got the 3T seatpost. I would've liked that one...now I just want a zero-offset seatpost.
The gap you're showing on the headset spacer is normal.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

mitchgixer6 wrote:GOT MY AR1 FRAME!! :beerchug:

So I picked it up this afternoon. Chuffed doesn't really cover it though!! :D

Just starting my build and have run in to a few problems already though. First one should be easily solved, I got the 3T seatpost included with my frame which I wasn't expecting. Only issue with that is that it came with the rounds rail clamps and I need the oval clamps for my carbon rails. Will need to order up the oval clamps and until they come find a metal railed saddle to borrow.

Second issue is with the headset which hopefully some of the guys who have build their bike already could help with. The pictures show the problem as there is a small gap between the headset cover and the frame leaving the upper bearing exposed. Is this normal? It's the same with both the small cap and the large cap, and that's without using the 3 thin spacers that are included. Where should they go?

Looking forward to getting on with the build and testing the bike!!

Cheers

The gap is normal. That was the result of making the custom upper cover as thin and light as possible without reducing the height of the compression ring. The 4mm upper cover doesn't curve over the bearing. Reducing the compression ring height would reduce the surface area contact on the steerer and increase the load in that area. If you don't like the appearance, the 8mm carbon covers have a molded in lip that hides more of the bearing. On the FRD bikes the upper bearing itself is Red anodized aluminum and looks badass under the cover through the 0.9-1.1mm gap.

-SD

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Thanks Dave, not to bothered about it looking that way, as long as that's normal then I'm happy with that.

Do you know how readily available the oval clamp for the 3T seat post is? I've borrowed a saddle that fits for now but will need to source the oval clamp asap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com