2014 S-works SL4 DA Di2 or Parlee Z5 SLI DA Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NealH

by NealH

Velovecycles wrote:NealH: if you've not ridden a Parlee, then you really should. My Z5 SLi is better in all respects than my SL4. I'm surprised you say that your SLL3 front end handling is beyond reproach - that model was known for it's sketchy front end... and that was certainly my experience when I owned one.

Still, horses for courses. You're right - the vast majority of bikes at this level will satisfy most riders' needs.

I will make a point to find a Z5 to try. I know of a dealer about 4 hours away but, he rarely stocks the big sizes. I've heard the Z5 its a different bike than the Z4 and I guess its time to ride one and see how it feels. But I've put about 15K miles on my SL3 and I have no complaints. Its a beautiful descender (and climber). No issues with it being sketchy. Maybe a touch harsh at times, but this is tamed with 25mm tires (and DA wheels).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I have to agree with Velovecycles. The Z5 is a fantastic all round bike.
I race at a Masters level, and use my Z5 for crits, road races and endurance events. Not many bikes offer this level of all day comfort and race bike handling, as well as being a fantastic bike for climbing, and even better at descending fast.
Mine is XL, and weighs in at 6.1 - 6.35kg ready to ride dependant on wheels used, without any trick light weight parts. I weigh 90kg plus, and I have no issues with flex or lack of stiffness when sprinting. In fact the bike is far more capable than the rider. As my riding improves I find the Parlee surprising me each time I try push the limits.
An added bonus is relative exclusivity, with far less Parlees out on the road.
I have test ridden Trek Madone 7's, Domanes, Specialized SWorks SL3, SL4 and Venges, and not one of them would tempt me from my Z5.
The new Trek Madone 7 and theSpec SL4 are pretty close to the Parlee in ride comfort and handling, but it has taken them 3-4 years to catch up with the Z5. I will probably upgrade when Parlee brings out a Z6, and even then will keep my Z5.
Another positive with buying a Parlee is that they have a slower model turnover than other brands, so you won't be riding last years model a few months after buying your new bike.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Bradcycles

by Bradcycles

I finally was able to do a test ride of the S-works SL4 bike (a 2014 S-works SL4 with Sram Red hydraulic brakes). I have to say, the bike felt incredible. To me, it felt much stiffer and responsive when doing sprint efforts from fairly low speeds. I felt that all the power I put out was transmitted directly to the frame and there was an immediate response. In contrast, when I test rode the Parlee, it felt like there was a slight hesitation when doing sprint efforts. It just didn't feel quite as stiff and responsive,and felt like there was a slight lag. To me, that's the main downside of the Parlee. In terms of comfort, I thought both the sl4 and the z5 sli felt very comfortable when riding - both seemed to smooth out the bumps on the ride much better than my current s-works sl3. Having said all that, I think I'm still leaning towards getting the Parlee. Also, I plan to keep my sl3, and the sl3 is plenty stiff for me. So, when I race crits, I may use the sl3 as my crit bike. Also, any races where I think the probability of crashing is higher, I'd probably continue to use the sl3 (as the parlee di2 will be significantly more expensive).

I did a pro/con list of both bikes for me, and this is what I came up with:

Sl4

Pros:
-Comfortable ride, feels stiffer, and super responsive for sprinting
-less risk in whether i will like the bike, as i love my sl3

Cons:
The headtube appears short for my fit
I dont love the paint job (a mix of glossy black and matte black with red lettering; the glossy black bits look cheap to me; it looks like a bunch of stickers put onto the matte black finish)
No flexibility for build components (bars dont fit, stem doesnt fit, crank chainrings need to be different, need to buy praxis, and quarq spider, no need for wheels or saddle)
Sworks crankset seems to limit possibility of dura ace crankset
Quarq appears to be better option over srm for this build
They will buy back wheels for only 1100 instead of 2200 msrp

Z5

Pros:
Better frame size for my fit
Stealth paint scheme
Flexibility of custom build (enve parts, get to choose stem length, bar width, 52/36 chainrings, srm)
Dura ace crank
Srm over quarq, with srm being only 2200
Comfortable ride

Cons:
Doesnt seem quite as stiff and responsive as sl4 when sprinting from low speed
Higher risk as to whether i will love the bike, since short test rides dont give full data

NealH

by NealH

Good for you Bradcycles. Test riding is one way to help with the selection process, though being able to ride one for a long weekend is the best way in my opinion. Both your perspective choices are good bikes. Test riding a Z5 is on my list, but I will not hold my breath that its a better bike than the SL4. I've not been on anything yet that responds and handles like the SL4. But like you, I don't particular care for its short head tube.

Velovecycles
in the industry

by Velovecycles

Bradcycles: excellent that you had the chance to test ride both bikes. I'd agree that the Parlee is slightly less stiff from a slow start under full gas than the SL4, but for me that's never been an issue as it handles the hills with a more mature feel than the SL4. I'm really glad you noticed the big difference between the SL3 and the SL4 - don't get me wrong, I still miss my SL3, it's a great frame - it's just that the SL4 is everything the SL3 was and then a little more.

If the Parlee is a better size for your fit then that's a pretty major point yes?

In the end, you're the one who's going to be riding the bike, so it's your opinion and long-term happiness that matters the most!
Bikes:
Parlee Z1 - Custom Geo, Custom Paint, Super Rec.
Parlee Z Zero - Custom Geo, Wax Finish, Enve 3.4's CK Hubs, Record.
Parlee Z Zero - Custom Paint & DA Di2, Custom White Ind Wheels.
No.22 Great Divide - Custom Geo, Super Rec & eeBrakes.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

The z5 sl will build lighter, a lot lighter so climbing is covered.. Big rides 180+Kms no drama
You have the sl3 so your spesh bases are covered and as a less expensive crit bike you got that covered too.. I race my z5 and its a weapon by the way

Descending... That is one thing the z5 does better than just about anything.. Accurate within mm even at 70-90kph. You look where you wana go its already there, sharp as a razor handling that would be twitchy if it was any sharper

This is mine descending a rough HC climb in California that I didn't ride up or seen before on a 990g carbon wheel set with 22c tires!

http://youtu.be/HFhshwuxGpk

Only thing I will say is if you have a hardon for 25c tires I'd get the sl4 cause they will likely rub the chain stays on a Z5.

That been said you won't regret buying a z5 they are awesome

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

sugarkane - nice video! camera mounted on head tube or where?
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

K edge gobig handle bar mount
The plastic goPro mount would have snapped on that road really fast
The alloy k edge mounts are the only way to go!!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Another on from my trip, much smoother his time

http://youtu.be/YUbHMDsswjY

Bradcycles

by Bradcycles

Thanks to everyone for your input. I just placed an order through my local bike shop for the Parlee Z5 Sli (ML Tall size), with DA DI2 (including SRM crank and sprinter shifters) and Enve seatpost, bars, and stem. I'll be using my Enve 3.4 carbon clinchers with Alchemy hubs (ORC-UL rear hub) on this bike (and save my Enve 6.7 carbon clinchers with CK hubs for my SL3). I'm pretty psyched about the build. I'm going on vacation from September 12th-26th to France (including a week long bike tour through the Pyrenees) and am hoping the build will be finished soon after getting back from the trip...

Velovecycles
in the industry

by Velovecycles

Bradcycles - solid choice! Congratulations.

Please give us a report when you've had a chance to put a few hundred Ks on her.
Bikes:
Parlee Z1 - Custom Geo, Custom Paint, Super Rec.
Parlee Z Zero - Custom Geo, Wax Finish, Enve 3.4's CK Hubs, Record.
Parlee Z Zero - Custom Paint & DA Di2, Custom White Ind Wheels.
No.22 Great Divide - Custom Geo, Super Rec & eeBrakes.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

sugarkane wrote:Another on from my trip, much smoother his time

http://youtu.be/YUbHMDsswjY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ahh memories.. used to ride out to the SM Mountains all the time when I lived in Oxnard.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Yea the latigo loop is really nice. Would like a chance to really put the hurt into that Mulholland hwy descent but it was a one shot deal!

kode54

by kode54

sugarkane wrote:Yea the latigo loop is really nice. Would like a chance to really put the hurt into that Mulholland hwy descent but it was a one shot deal!

that's one that i want to ride when i'm out there. you took your Parlee there, eh? nice.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Bradcycles wrote:Thanks to everyone for your input. I just placed an order through my local bike shop for the Parlee Z5 Sli (ML Tall size), with DA DI2 (including SRM crank and sprinter shifters) and Enve seatpost, bars, and stem. I'll be using my Enve 3.4 carbon clinchers with Alchemy hubs (ORC-UL rear hub) on this bike (and save my Enve 6.7 carbon clinchers with CK hubs for my SL3). I'm pretty psyched about the build. I'm going on vacation from September 12th-26th to France (including a week long bike tour through the Pyrenees) and am hoping the build will be finished soon after getting back from the trip...

excellent choice. the Enve cockpit matches very nice with the Z5 SL paint. can't go wrong with everything ordered. the only thing i would change on mine are the DT hubs on my 3.4. but other than that, love the ride all around.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc