11 SP DI2 works Campy Cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vboy19

by vboy19

I think i might be going crazy or this may have been discussed before.. but I just got upgraded to the new 11-speed dura ace and I put my Enve wheelset on that still has a campy cassette and the shifting works really well! Am I missing something?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

No, you're not going crazy.

The spacing between cogs on Shimano/SRAM and Campagnolo has always been the same if the cassette is the same speed.

Back in 10spd world, you could have used a Shimano/SRAM or Campagnolo 10-spd cassette with any 10-spd drivetrain system. How do you think those neutral support vehicles could just throw on any wheel and make it work? (Before the transitions of 11-spd started taking place)

The differences are only in the freehub splines, and the compatibility of shifter-to-derailleur. In the analog, there wasn't any noticeable incompatibility of shifter-to-front-derailleur, but now that Shimano and Campagnolo have both gone electronic, the incompatibilities are regardless of derailleur.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Doolop

by Doolop

Well the spacing is not the same, but the difference is so insignificant that they are interchangeable without any problems.

The difference in that range is actually so insignificant that you can use a 10 speed cassette with 11 speed shifters by limiting out the last gear.

TimmS

by TimmS

So, is it also possible to use 10 speed shifters on a 11 speed cassette?
Anyone tried that?

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

10 speed cassettes spacing are not the same Shimano/SRAM = 3.95mm, Campagnolo 4.12mm e.g. Shimano/SRAM cassette on a Campag drivetrain
Center the chain exactly on 5th cog (best case) then shift to 10th cog the .17mm difference in spacing accumulates to .85mm overshift or about 22% error
center the chain on the 1st cog and it would over shift by 1.53mm 40% out, might shift but far from ideal.
Shimano/Campag 11 speed cassette spacing is close enough not to make any difference.

philipBer

by philipBer

Tenlegs wrote:Shimano/Campag 11 speed cassette spacing is close enough not to make any difference.

In a German forum a guy measured the difference in spacing. It was 0.02mm... so your assumption is right! :thumbup:

nismosr

by nismosr

11 speed shimano cassette will work on super record 11 drivetrain ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

vboy19

by vboy19

I did notice a little turbulence in the middle of the cassette.

petal666

by petal666

My Dura-ace 11 speed cassette is creaking like no bodies business, so I tested an 11 speed campy wheel on my Red22, works fine. If it works on SRAM it'll work in Di2.

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

@nismosr yes, test rode a 12-25 d/a 9000 on a full super record build today, was flawless barring one thing -the chain was catching the shift pins when in the small/small combo, though I think that may have been more a product of the wheel change/cassette position.

TimmS

by TimmS

Did / can someone measure the cablepull on sram 11 speed shifters?

coolmingli

by coolmingli

What about wheel dishing? My zipp 303 was sent back to the factory for 11 speed hub upgrade because they need to redish the wheels, and I have to buy a new Campy free hub body to work with the reddished wheel.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

coolmingli wrote:What about wheel dishing? My zipp 303 was sent back to the factory for 11 speed hub upgrade because they need to redish the wheels, and I have to buy a new Campy free hub body to work with the reddished wheel.

Don't understand this one at all.

Campy 11 spd cassettes work on 9 and 10spd freehubs just fine.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I have a Proton wheelset bought in 2002. An 11spd cassette jams into the spokes: it plain doesn't fit. I suspect I need a new freehub.
Less is more.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

coolmingli wrote:What about wheel dishing? My zipp 303 was sent back to the factory for 11 speed hub upgrade because they need to redish the wheels, and I have to buy a new Campy free hub body to work with the reddished wheel.

How about a new brain?

I have a Proton wheelset bought in 2002. An 11spd cassette jams into the spokes: it plain doesn't fit. I suspect I need a new freehub

A Little screwdriver would do perhaps?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com