Help me choose between a Orca Gold and Felt F*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sykes

by Sykes

I am looking at a new frame. I have narrowed it down to 2 frames. The 2014 Orbea Orca Gold or the Felt an F series frame (F1, FRD or FC). I'm looking for any pros/cons of each brand. I've ridden a 2011 F4 (built FC frame), which I loved, but I have not ridden an Orbea.

Obviously both are top notch frames. The Orbea is a little heavier (Orbea does not publish weights but I seem to remember reading that the gold was 950g), even with the 2014 model which Orbea claims saves 10% in weight, add 8% in stiffness and gains 7% in aero VS 2013 model. There is not that big of a price difference between the gold and silver, so I have eliminated the sliver orbea.

For the price of the Orca gold, I could get the 2013 Felt F1 or the soon to be announced 2014 FRD. The F1 weights 828g and the FRD 750g. I'm hoping there is not a price jump for the FRD, and that once the FRD is announcing the F1 will be discounted. The FC comes in at 939g, but is over $1k cheaper than all of the other frames.

The Orbea seems to be a mixed bag, a bit aero and light weight, whereas the F1/FRD are true stiff, feather weights.

Let me leave it at that. Please give any info that you think might help, as neither brand is that big and there are limited reviews and dealers tend to to limited info/feedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

Decide on looks!

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Felt F1 or FRD. one of the best frames out there

liketoride

by liketoride

if you have the option to test ride both see about doing that and find out which one is best for you.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

I would go Felt hands down over an Orbea. Felt really knows their stuff and have a top notch frame in the F series. Just make sure the geometry works for you as it is an aggressive fit. Maybe wait until FRD is released and see what happens to F1/FC pricing. Maybe you wi find a better deal then. Whether you want to go FRD/F1/FC depends on how much you want to spend and how light you want to go. Gotta pay to play. If WW is everything for you, wait for the FRD. Otherwise the F1 and FC are great bikes as well. FC is good route if money saved gives you extra funds for new wheels, power meter, bike trip somewhere, or something else. So consider that as well. But those are all great choices and I think you will be happy.

jaketim114

by jaketim114

I really like my FC. Couldn't justify the double in price to the F1. FRD should see a significant price increase to the current F1

1ferrari

by 1ferrari

Felt! They look better!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sykes

by Sykes

liketoride wrote:if you have the option to test ride both see about doing that and find out which one is best for you.

I wish I could but there are no Orbea's, regardless of the level, to test. I was able to test a F4 and loved it.
jaketim114 wrote:I really like my FC. Couldn't justify the double in price to the F1. FRD should see a significant price increase to the current F1

I doubt the FRD will be that much more than the FC, just look at the price scale for the niners, $1500 for the UHC advanced and $2800 for the FRD.

Thanks all for your comments. You have confirmed the direction I was leaning. The F series look great with the matte black and accents, slap the FDR on there and wow you have a looker. The 2014 models are being announced in about 10 days and I will move forward from there, depending in pricing.