Pedal speculation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

corky

by corky

So now Garmin have showed their hand and produced an SPD-SL compatible PM pedal, who do You think will produce an SPD-SL non PM version?

Campagnolo dreaming'........😀

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Wellgo :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Wellgo, Exustar, Xpedo.

Unless it's power meter pedals, not many premium brands want to compete directly on price/performance for sector so well established by Shimano.

Campagnolo Cult bearing SPD-SL might sound interesting. But I'm not sure it'd be better than already excellent Dura-ace bearings.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Exustar already makes SPD-SL clones.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

My bold prediction is LOOK.

The company indeed moved to a SPD-compatible pedal (X-Track) from their own one (S-Track) several years ago.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Considering KeO is the still by far the dominant road cleat thanks to the clones, that's like saying Shimano is going to switch from SPD to ATAC.

corky

by corky

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:57 am
Considering KeO is the still by far the dominant road cleat thanks to the clones, that's like saying Shimano is going to switch from SPD to ATAC.
But maybe that is about to change........

usr

by usr

If there is indeed a full intellectual property phaseout behind the sudden appearance of Rally SL it could save Look from a bad case of decline if they bit the bullet in terms of "not invented here" (actually, it was, just not with those exact specifications) and openly embraced SL as the next generation of Look cleats. But there is a lot of brand value in being the reference of an established format that they'd have to give up, classic case of a difficult short-term / mid-term tradeoff.

Perhaps they could sell it off as boldness instead of defeat with a claim along the lines of "in spirit, we always thought of SPD-SL as being just a slightly different shape of what we consider our technology"? Then veer off into some babbling rant about ways in which three screws plastic triangles are supposedly superior to two screws or the inverted setup of certain others. It might actually work!

I wouldn't consider it a likely outcome, less likely than painful decline until the smoldering remains are bought by, I don't know, Zwift if they are still around (with an utterly fanatic rationalization of why this acquisition will make their investors rich if they only put in the cash for one more year), but that "bold prediction" sounds surprisingly reasonable to me.It all hinges on the details of the IP involved of course, of which I have absolutely no idea.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:48 pm
But I'm not sure it'd be better than already excellent Dura-ace bearings.
They wouldn't be by any metric. The bearings in Dura Ace level components are unmatched by anyone.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’d rather service/replace the cartridge bearings in my Assiomas 100x than work with the loose balls and needle bearings of a Dura-Ace pedal, but that’s me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com