Shimano wheels damaging rear dropouts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hanzypanzy
Shop Owner

by hanzypanzy

Hi all,

Wondered if anyone else had come across this. With some of the cheaper Shimano wheels on the market coming with a fully threaded axle, namely the area that sits on the carbon drop out of the frame, has anyone experienced this digging into the actual inside area of the drop out?

I get the serrated teeth area on the skewer and axle nut digging into the flat clamp sections on the dropouts, this is a common problem, but I mean the inside of the dropout where the threaded axle section rests on.

It has worn the dropout on the drive side to the point where the wheel now can move slightly forward on the drive side, leaving it non centre in frame.

Any ideas or suggested fixes, as this kind of wheel will always dig into the frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

hanzypanzy wrote:but I mean the inside of the dropout where the threaded axle section rests on.
That really sounds like the axle is are missing or has an incorrect end cap if the axle has exposed threads and would ask to which specific model of Shimano wheelset are you referring?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

hanzypanzy
Shop Owner

by hanzypanzy

ms6073 wrote:
hanzypanzy wrote:but I mean the inside of the dropout where the threaded axle section rests on.
That really sounds like the axle is are missing or has an incorrect end cap if the axle has exposed threads and would ask to which specific model of Shimano wheelset are you referring?

I am talking about the RS80 rear wheel. I'm pretty sure that's the way they come standard. Threaded axle so the nuts can be used to set bearing preload, then the same axle area that the nut screws over, doubles up as the end cap section that sits in the dropout.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yeah, this is how they come standard......I have never had an issue with this sine I used the Shimano skewers that held very tight and prevented movement in the dropout. If you use less robust skewers, I can see where some movement could occur that could damage the dropout.