Cantilever brakes alignment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinchy

by tinchy

Hi, just installing some new cantilever brakes to an old 1980s frame I picked up. Upon installing the new cantilever brakes, the right hand side take amount appears to sit higher up than the left hand side - however when I measure the mounting bosses either side they seem to be equally positioned. Also I noticed when the original wheel is in place, it runs centrally, whereas if I replace the front wheel with another wheel I have which is true, it runs slightly to the left - making brake alignment a right pain. My only though is that perhaps the fork is bent?

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

If the fork is bent and you think the previous owner dished the wheel to center it, just turn the wheel around 180 deg and see if it's off center.
Also you can file the dropout slightly if it's not too far out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinchy

by tinchy

Heres a snap, see the right brake mount appears slightly higher than the left.

:?:

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

In that pic the bosses looks quite a bit out, have you taken the brakes off and checked the studs, do they look parallel to each other?

tinchy

by tinchy

It is off by a few mm either side!
Should this hinder the braking action, as in the pads still touch the rim just on one side they are at their lowest possible, whilst the other side not.

Its also interesting how other wheels do not sit centrally. Something must have given it a decent whack at some point in its life...?