WW techie help... aka. headset baseplate doesn't fit fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

My wife has a new Orbea Orca Dama that she's asking me to build up for her. Not a big deal since I've done all the wrenching on all our other bikes. EXCEPT, the darn headset baseplate doesn't push all the way down to the fork crown! It's a gap of about 15mm and it just won't go any further. What do I do?!
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Are you using a proper crown race tool, or something that passes for one?:

It can take a bit of force, and it needs to be applied evenly so it goes on straight and doesn't get stuck.
Last edited by MajorMantra on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sungod

by sungod

^^^this

or you can improvise with a piece of pipe

either way, it needs a good whomp to seat a crown race

if it's an alloy steerer there's the outside chance that it hasn't been finished to allow fitting the race, but a cf steerer should be ready

to ease things, lightly grease the area where the race goes, heat the race before fitting (boiling water, no more than that)

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Its got a 1.5" lower bearing. Are you sure you've got the right size crown race?

audiojan

by audiojan

Yes, the crown race is the right diameter. That's the first thing I checked. I didn't use a press/tool, but I guess I need to improvise to get that seated. Thanks for the suggestion!
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin