Customising 7900 cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Has anyone removed the darker coating on 7900 cranks? Tempted to do this over the winter and polish up to a high lusture. Just wondered if there's anything I should be wary of?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

Long time! I've not done it on 7900, but did on an older Dura Ace crank. Also, have done on Dale cranks and others.

On D Ace; I had that sent to a local polisher and it came back very shiny. I also did a homemade one as well by taking off the anodising with a spray oven cleaner and then polished with Brasso; did another with Solvol Autosol. Whilst the results were quite good, the best finish was sending stuff to the polishers.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Hi KB. I've done it on the plain anodising before.

Where was the polisher you used?

micky

by micky

KB, any photo?

KB

by KB

MM - I had mine done in at home in Hull. He does a good job and he's cheap. I can get it done for you FOC if you send to me. I'm back in the UK next month. Then I'm back again early November. My LBS looks after the process for me if i'm not around. If you're interested send me a PM with your email.

Micky - Will have to look for some pics of the Shimano cranks I had done. However, if you dig through my mails you'll see some of the work i've had done getting stuff polished. My titanium bike not too far back shows the Extralite cranks and stem I had polished and a Van Nicholas seatpost.

I've got a Shimano cranks pic but I'm buggered now on how you upload them nowadays in this section.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Hi KB.

If you go to Tinypic then you can upload the shimano crank pic to that then ping the link up here.

Going to get some coffee I thinK!

KB

by KB

First pic is the cranks polished; the second is before they were polished. The latter is duller. I think the difference is clear.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

FANTASTIC!!

What are the chainrings and wheels in pic 1?

KB

by KB

You're obviously after a shiny bike parts rig!!!

Not sure regarding the chainrings or wheels. I don't have them anymore. I kept the frame, but flogged the other parts. Here's my Dale cranks and TA Squale rings that I had polished. Gives you an idea.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Here is the project.

Some friends are pointing out that the cranks are a little hideous so I was thinking of getting the dark anodising removed and polishing to a high lusture.........

KB

by KB

Definitely can be done IMO. I'll send you a PM this afternoon as i have some more pics for you.

odin99

by odin99

wow. the cannondale crank is awesome. i wish you had some not so blurry pics! what's the cost to get those done if you don't mine posting it.

KB

by KB

About £15 I think. It doesn't take long to do. The pics were taken at my LBS; the quality of the snaps are not that good, but in the flesh they look much better.

KB

by KB

Here's a better pic of the Dale cranks. It's not a line across the cranks, it's a reflection. I've done the same with plenty of other stuff; see attached KCNC brakes, VAn Nich seatpost, Extralite cranks and stem.

The last pic is with some of the stuff on the bike. You can see that the PMP rings are duller than the cranks. they'll be off to the polishers soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Fantastic bikes!