wheel sets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JIGGY BOY

by JIGGY BOY

to much trek involved
:roll: same old same old
so far...king fast
A new forum-Cycling with Power...also a Junior Training section...come check it out!

www.cyclingpower.jconserv.net

PNuT

by PNuT

with an attitude like that at 15 you will have a whole plate when you grow up :lol:
21 for road 27 for mtb :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommy

by tommy

:laughat:

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I vote for 404 rear and 303 front. 404's on the front can be a handfull on a windy day and you can't controll the weather on a race day. I also feel the 404 rear is a little stronger/more durable than 303's because of the greater spoke angle.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

JIGGY BOY

by JIGGY BOY

PNuT Posted:
with an attitude like that at 15 you will have a whole plate when you grow up

i certainly will!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :!:
so far...king fast
A new forum-Cycling with Power...also a Junior Training section...come check it out!

JIGGY BOY

by JIGGY BOY

yourdaguy:I vote for 404 rear and 303 front. 404's on the front can be a handfull on a windy day and you can't controll the weather on a race day. I also feel the 404 rear is a little stronger/more durable than 303's because of the greater spoke angle

thats the thing though! the weather. thanks for the advice though! the stifness thing is not so important as i weigh 50 kg! it does make sense though 8) :)
so far...king fast

Ridley

by Ridley

JIGGY BOY wrote:yourdaguy:I vote for 404 rear and 303 front. 404's on the front can be a handfull on a windy day and you can't controll the weather on a race day. I also feel the 404 rear is a little stronger/more durable than 303's because of the greater spoke angle

thats the thing though! the weather. thanks for the advice though! the stifness thing is not so important as i weigh 50 kg! it does make sense though 8) :)

The aerodynamics aren't that important either when you're that small...

JIGGY BOY

by JIGGY BOY

Ridley Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:51 pm Post subject:

The aerodynamics aren't that important either when you're that small...

sorry how does that work? :?
so far...king fast

yellow-faggin

by yellow-faggin

wow JIGGY BOY you're 15
I'm 17 where do you come from?
I would recommend you the AM-Classic CR-420 rims
with some light hubs and only a few spokes
cause you're featherlicht and can ride it.
I think 18/24 spokes are a good option,
but I think that's the only option cause the are only in 18/24 sold.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

My opinion is the opposite: Aerodynamics are more important for smaller riders since they usually have less overall wattage a non-aero wheel will be a bigger overall percentage penalty for them.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Bikes4fun

by Bikes4fun

I would go for the 404 simply because its the one wheel that you can have it all - lightweight and aero. Since its only 100g or so difference between the 303, but the 404 is more aero and frankly at 1200g, its lighter than most, and good enough for climbing. So unless you are climbing Col de Galibier or something similar, the 404 should be more than adequate for most applications.

tcr

by tcr

Bikes4fun wrote:I would go for the 404 simply because its the one wheel that you can have it all - lightweight and aero. Since its only 100g or so difference between the 303, but the 404 is more aero and frankly at 1200g, its lighter than most, and good enough for climbing. So unless you are climbing Col de Galibier or something similar, the 404 should be more than adequate for most applications.

Botero on the Galibier:

second place... 'nuff said. :wink:

TunedCannondaleR700

by TunedCannondaleR700

Go with the front and rear 404. 8)
Cannondale is quite simply the best

tcr

by tcr

I say go with the Ksyrium SL's. They are great for an all round wheelset that will be much more durable than Zipps, and they are quite frankly all you will need. I could continue on for a while about how carbon wheels are unnecessary at your age, but I'll spare you :lol:

curlymcbird

by curlymcbird

before buying any carbon wheels,you may want to check the UCI rules for juniors, i know that there is a rule against u17s and younger riders are not allowed to ride carbon, aramid or any composite wheels, there are numerous rules like this which restrict juniors, such as the rule about having restricted gears and no aerobars for juniors, etc. For these reasons i would definately not reccomend that you buy zipps or carbon wheels of any sort as you will not be able to use them in any junior races, at the risk of being disqualified.
I have just moved into the u19s and am now allowed to use carbon wheels myself, i have been a junior in your position before, it would be a pity to spend all that money and only be allowed to use them for training :lol:

ride some metal clinchers and save your pennies till ure older.

Joe
i dont need some witty signature

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com